Saturday, July 19, 2008

K-9 Perfume


Willow and I were on our daily walk and suddenly I felt a tug on leash. I turned around and saw Willow lying on the pavement on her back. I lifted her by her chest and shoulder area – wondering if she collapsed or legs gave out or what and before we got started walking she fell again and was laying on her back making some kind of body movement.

I thought immediately that her mind had somehow snapped and her brain no longer sent a message to legs to tell them what to do next.

I picked her up again and when I got her lifted I saw some a small black mass of organic matter with fur on it. She was just doing what her instinct called her to do, roll in decaying meat.

I remember my super dog Skipper used to come back from the woods near our house reeking in rotted meat small. Daddy would say Skipper had just rolled in some carn, that was all…dogs like to do that, he added. He said it was something they like to smell.

Like perfume?

I try looking up carn in an Internet on-line dictionary and it was no such word, according to them. And MS Word concurs: when I type it a red line appears under the word.

However, our big old red Webster New Collegiate Dictionary, published in 1979 does how the word carn in it. It defines it as Caernavonshire, which is not listed. Hah! I like that...they used a word that is not in the dictionary to describe define word in the dictionary.

However, beneath the dictionary beneath the word Carn is the word Carnage which says: The flesh of slain animals or men. That is close, but still doesn’t say it stinks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carn I believe is the southern pronunciation of carrion.

Eddie said...

Reuben,
carrion isn't in the on-line dictionary either. However, it is in the old Webster dictionary saying it is: dead and putrefying flesh.
Reuben, you are right again.

Anonymous said...

Willow, we dogs know that carn to us is as sweat is to humans. I know that when I roll in it, my mom immediately gives me the bestest warm water massage. Humans must really like it when we roll in carn to reward us so well :>p

-Daisy at the G.Q.

Eddie said...

Daisy,
You hairy bitch you! I haven't heard from you in a long time.
Arf!
Willow