Thursday, July 03, 2008

Studying Visitors


I have a counter on my blog. It counts every visit and makes a note of how long every visit is, where they came from, and how many times they been back – and what they looked at.

A couple of times a day I look at the counter report and muse and wonder at what I see.

Over last weekend I titled a posting something like “UGA Is Dead” and suddenly my visitors increased. For three or four days my count is up near 200 more each day. It will fizzle out soon I hope. They arrive here and in less than 2 seconds see there is nothing to it and move on.

I think a bunch of people everyday run a Google on UGA and that is why I had so many visitors.

I have said other words that suddenly increased my traffic…. And again, once they looked at what I had to offer, they left in a second or two.

So, temporarily when I say something that attracts a mass of people my visiting number goes up, but also at the same time the return visits and lengthy visits percentage decline. They don’t stick around very long and don’t come back. So, what I feel is my quality numbers decline.

I think the visiting numbers can be misleading.

I really feel complemented when I see a big large percentage stayed over 10 minutes and really feel great when people stay longer than an hour. And even more so, if they are returning visiting… they are coming back for more trash from Eddie – to see what words of wisdom I mutter…. Hah!

What I don’t like is people being attracted here for other reasons than I intended. A good example is a couple of brothers I have observed through the past ten years that live in their late grandparents home, as far as I can tell, and they live in a make-believe military world. I think now they are over 21, maybe even pushing 30, and have only one thing in mind – look like commandos. By their appearances they remind me of Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum and have named several blog postings that when I wrote about them. For a long time I have been getting hits searching out my Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum, mostly from England but also other parts of Europe, and sometimes Australia.

Another good example is when actor Peter Boyle died I had a bit about him and named the post “Joe is Dead”. I called him Joe because that is what my wife Anna and I nicknamed him years ago and have been calling him that ever since. That was the first movie we saw him in, “Joe.” I get still get several hits a day searching for my “Joe is Dead” post. Once they see it, it is not what they had in mind, whatever that is, and they quickly exit. The people that hit “Joe is Dead” are mostly European.

Three of my posts of local eateries get several hits a week. Brandi’s World Famous Hotdogs, Sam and Dave’s BBQ and the Old Mill in Acworth.

Alton Brown’s House and Rock City Bird House each probably get about a visit a day. Alton’s visitors are from all over the U.S. and the Rock City Birdhouse tend to be mostly in Tennessee.

With the exception of Will Elder stuff, my comic book posting are rarely visited. My historical stuff is hit often more locally.

Speaking of which, several people, who consider Marietta their home, have told me face to face or by email how much they enjoy my local stuff I tell... I try to oblige them - not only for them, but also for me. It is good mind exercise to swim around in the ooze of your brain to see what you can remember... or at least I hope it is good exercise, I hope I can always climb back out.

Another thing that baffles me is my blog’s July 2007 Archives. At least a dozen people a day visit to see that month’s archives. I have no idea what is so attracting there. But they seem to in bunches every day, from all the world.

Do I have an International flair of what?

8 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

I have Google's Urchin Tracker installed on my blog and I've noticed some of the same things that you are.

The key lies in whatever words that you use for the title that you give your post - which becomes part of the Internet Address (Url) for your post - which Google picks up almost immediately.

For instance, you used UGA in your title. This is a hot topic right now and people who are googling a search to find more information will use UGA as a key, or search word. Of course, Google will bring up your post because their search engine searches according to urls more so than content, which is more or less secondary. Title/content key words also hold true for any subject whether it be popular or historical - it all has to do with what words people would use to search out a subject.

I wouldn't expect a whole lot of responses on your blog. According to several professional blogging reports that I've read, only about 2 to 3 percent of the people who read your blog on a regular basis will leave a response/comment or offer to communicate by e-mail.

About one third of my daily visitor's are local, another one third is from the south/or USA, and the remaining third is International. Interestingly, my more popular posts are those of animals, southern culture, and historical.

So, it must hold true that southerners are unique in the world. I read one blogging report that said southern blogs are liked because they are friendly and social.

But no matter what what we write, it seems that according to Technorati, the most popular blogs are those of the pundits (politics) and gossip on celebrities. Fast behind are the on-line gamers.

Sometimes I feel like I live in the US of Illusion.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Everything is an illusion, one way or another.

Your proportions are very similar to mine.

All that you said was well broken down and presented well... now, I need to digest it.

By the way, last Tuesday at the Dog park in north Cobb, near Steinhour Road, I saw a young lady that looked a lot like you, same hair and same face. I was reluctant to speak, because if it was you, then you would be embarrassed and if it wasn't you, I would be embarrassed.

Deborah Wilson said...

No that wasn't me. lol
But you never can tell where I will be...If you and Anna ever run up on me, don't feel shy about speaking because if I see you guys, I'll be waving and smiling.

Eddie said...

Deborah,

Ok, I would waving and smiling, you that is difficult when one is trying to be invisible in the crowd pickpocketing.

Clutch Needy said...

I come here for 2 seconds to see if you've posted anything new since your last post. I'm very interested in this stuff but but I haven't figured out yet when you regularly update things. Davis, Elder and the others are why I entered a life of cartooning. Thanks for your efforts and please keep it up.

Eddie said...

Gerry,
Thanks for coming and saying some nice things.

When I am in a routine mode, which is Monday through Thursday, normally I post something just before we go to bed in the evening, but schedule it to publish itself at 1am PT, which I think is 4am ET, which Georgia is in.

Then, if I am provoked or inspired or see something interesting or funny I might do another one that day at no certain set time.

Elder, Kurtzman, and Davis molded my formative brain back in the 50s, and I am been marching to a different drummer ever since. Wood too! He just didn't make such a dent as the others.

By what you said you must be an artist.... tell me more.

Clutch Needy said...

I read Mad reprints in the 60's and started writing comedy and drawing in the early 70's. After years of spending time as an illustrator and graphic artist I bought a computer and saw that independent animation was possible. I've made at least 50 shorts, many of which have been televised in Canada. It's hard to make money from shorts but I have several comedians and actors that do voice-over for free. I've pitched a tv series and will again, but really I just love to make animations and will do that no matter what. -Gerry

Eddie said...

Gerry,
I admire that you have talent and the want to create with it.