Friday, July 25, 2008

Good Morning Mr. Sun!


Many mornings when Willow and I run and/or walk we pass by a track field on the campus of Addison Elementary school. The track looks like a regular paved track – not wide enough for a car, but wide enough to have four lines for four competitors to run. I don’t think it is a regulation size track – the tracks I know of are 4 times around make a mile and this one on the inner row ten times around and on the outer row it is nine times around make a mile.

What I am getting at is that in within the circumference of the track is a fairly large area of “nothing much” It is partly grass, and partly not grass, but I suppose the maintenance people are still trying to get grass to grow in the bare spots.

Lately, just about every time we go by the track in the morning, there is a lady standing facing the east. She is dark skin. I suppose she is far eastern and that is a religious thing she does, welcome the sun in the morning. She almost stands at attention as she looks over my head and the trees behind me.

In the parking lot, near the track is always a small little car – which I correctly assumed is the car she came in. One morning I was running a little late, and I saw her get into the little car and drive away.

A couple of days ago I noticed something I thought was different and interesting. I heard loud rock music coming from someplace. Then I figured out it was coming from her car – one of the doors was opened. Inside was somebody, I think a teenager, not worshiping the sun, but maybe worshiping rock music – Interesting.

The next day she came alone again.

2 comments:

cbish68 said...

You need to get there late again and then stop and talk to her. She sounds like an interesting person. I would love to hear the story behind her daily sun worship.

Eddie said...

Chris,
I would love to talk to her - but again, that would fall under her freedom of religion and she has the guaranteed right of not having to explain her religion to anyone, the same as I have as not having to explain my non-beliefs to anyone.