Monday, July 28, 2008

a MAD MONSTER



Another History Channel Page a Day Calendar:

On this day* in 1814 Percy Bysshe Shelly fled to France with his lover Mary Wollstoncraft Godwin. Percy was married to Harriet Westbrook, who killed herself in 1816.

Percy Shelly and Mary married after his wife committed suicide and spent a couple of years running from creditors.

While they lived in Geneva, Mary Shelly wrote the masterpiece Frankenstein.

Above and below are some pages out of MAD comic book #8 of Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder’s interpretation of that story. The top is the cover for that issue done by Kurtzman and below are several pages of the story by Elder- but not the whole story….click on them and look at the details.



3 comments:

Si's blog said...

Do you know how I wish I still had all of the Mad Magazines I spent my hard earned money on (made it by being an usher at the local movie house)? Dad never let me buy comics (except for Classic comics)until I spent my own money on Mad. Loved them. They went to the same trash pile as all of my tiny plastic WWII airplanes from Kix cereal. Loved them, too.

Eddie said...

Si,
You picked a good publication to love. I have been having an on-again, off-again, love affair with MAD and all the tribulations that go along with it for over a half century now.

I did not keep my MAD comics either. I cut the figures out and used them as clip art every chance I got. However, about 10 or years ago, I started buying the old ones reprinted into hardbound volumes.

Eddie said...

Si,
Another thing about MAD. You can get the first 300 or maybe it is 500 issues, on 5 CDs. It takes you back to yesteryear! That is about the most used program I have.