Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Glover Machine Works and Frank Hunter



Above is a Vanishing Georgia Project picture of the working men at Glover Machinery in Marietta, Georgia, about 1920. Click on to make larger.

Also above is the picture of my grandfather Frank Paris Hunter, taken about 1900 - he was born in 1879. Frank P. Hunter worked at Glover Machinery for many years, which would probably include the years before and after 1920.

So, do you think Frank is in the picture with the workers? I think probably so. Which one?

Looking at each man one at a time, I think he is the dark headed man on the far right that is right behind two men - I think that man has about the same features as Frank Hunter. Remember there are roughly 20 years between each picture.

While we are on the subject of my grandfather and Glover Machinery I want to mention what a great hospitalization plan they had. If you worked there and you or any member of your family was sick, you call the company doctor and he would make a house call family and check on the ailing person. And when he left he did not leave a bill. He was on Glover's payroll. But finding a phone to call the doctor may be another ordeal.

Frank and Minnie Hunter had eight sons and a daughter. The sons played hard - I think the company doctor probably got to know the family well.

8 comments:

Postino said...

Hard to tell which is your grandfather because the picture is too small for my aging eyeballs, but from what I can see your choice sounds right.

I also notice some African-American men. Considering the times was that unusual?

Eddie said...

El,
I was going to ask if you clicked on it to make it larger, but before I did, I clicked on it and saw that it didn't help much. I have it in my old Marietta photo collection and could make it larger.

Yes, I wondered about the Afro-Americans in the photo too. I doubt if they were machinists, probably clean-up men. I heard when Lockheed started in Marietta in the early 50s blacks were not allowed in the Machinists Union to be machinists because the whites objected so much - but in time Lockheed broke the race barrier, as far as jobs go.

I also wondered if the Afro-American workers and their families got free company medical care - somehow I doubt it.

kenju said...

I made it larger and thought that man might be him, before I read that you thought so too. It's hard to tell, since most of them have hats on.

Eddie said...

Judy,

For posterity the photographer should make people take off their hats or helmets - unless of course one is taking a group picture on a battlefield.

Anonymous said...

Eddie,
I think you are right. The hairline part is the same and also I have never seen a picture of our grandfather with a hat. It seemed he never wore a hat. If this picture was taken in 1920, that was the year my father was born and he wasn't the youngest. My dad and I were supposed to be the lucky ones. He was the seventh son and I am the seventh grandson. I'm still waiting for my luck to happen. It is going to happen any day now I can feel it.

Eddie said...

Johnny,
Well, I would say 'good luck' but there is no need.

Daddy was the 4th son. That means I shouldn't put too much hope (and money) in the Mega Millions Lottery.

By the way, now that you mentioned it, I heard one time that your Dad, with his 7th son healing power, healed one of his brothers that was cut badly... I forgot who was cut and the other important details.

Si's blog said...

Agree about which it is. Looks a lot alike.

Hope you are saving all of your marvelous memories.

Eddie said...

Si,
Thank you.
I think we are right.
I just took a break from moving a bunch of pictures of our zoo trip and New Orleans over to another file - that I am using to collect pictures from the negatives I have been scanning. After I get what I feel is plenty, I will copy them to a CD... so, I just hope they are in a safe place on a bunch of CDs.