Monday, July 07, 2008

The Mission of Nombre De Dios, St Augustine postcard


On the back:

"THE MISSION OF NOMBRE DE DIOS
ST AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
Shrine of Nuestra Senora de la Leche, First establlished circa 1602 at Nombre De Dios.
John Hinde Curteich, Inc,
Printed in Ireland"

So, it was printed in Ireland eh? I found that many times the people who are not part of what they are looking at, or maybe on the outside looking in, can see things the people within do not see.... if that makes sense.

The little chapel itself reminds me of a little chapel we saw on the coast of Georgia one time... I forgot on exactly what island. For some reason every time I see the picture of the little Georgia chapel I think of authoress Eugenia Price. At the time I saw it for real, she must have lived near by.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The little pink chapel, right? Yeh, I believe she lived down the road from there. A type of algae or moss that grew on the building caused the unusual color.
Your cousin Johnny's told me about their connection to Eugenia Price. I found it very interesting since we had read a lot of her books and visited St. Simon's Island.

Eddie said...

Skip,
I knew Jeanie (Johnny's wife) did some research for Eugenia Price's book "Up From The Ashes" which I think is about the Frazier House on Frazier Street, but I didn't know any more until a few minutes ago when Johnny emailed me and told me about the same.

Anonymous said...

ET,
Here is a link to info about the book. Glad you mentioned it. I don't think we have this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beauty-from-Ashes-by-Eugenia-Price-1995-book-novel_W0QQitemZ230267328506QQihZ013QQcategoryZ377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#DESCDATA

Eddie said...

Skip,
I read it years ago and looked for it yesterday evening. "Beauty from the Ashes"! Well, I got the Ashes right.