Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gasp! James Brown Hot Sauce


A few days ago I acquired a 5 oz bottle of James Brown Hot Sauce from a bbq joint. On the label below the title it said, "Made from West African scotch bonnet peppers giving it a hot sauce with soul." (with soul in red).

It has soul alright. An evil soul.

I was warned only a "drop will do you".

That evening we had Talipia. I usually put hot sauce or red pepper on the talipia I eat so I gave the James Brown Hot Sauce a try. I am pretty sure I shook the bottle first... that is something I normally do on things like this.

Instead of a drop, I put about 6 or 8 drops, evenly dispersed on the white fish. It just barely had a spicy taste to it. I tasted hotter.

Today, for lunch I had a hot dog. I placed the wiener in a bun like it lying in a coffin, then dressed it up with condiments.

Then, I remembered the James Brown Hot Sauce. Because the last time I tried the sauce and only got a slight spicy taste, I decided to douse the top of the dog pretty good. I left a steady unbroken trail from one end of the other.

I started eating. About 35% through the dog it hit me. My mouth and lips felt they were on fire. My eyes watered. I huffed and puffed to heave the scorching from my mouth. I drank a Diet Coke and topped it off with lot of water. For some reason my body commanded my right hand to flap up and down.

Man!!!

Then, I scraped off the dressing and re-dressed it, and letting just a couple drops do me.

It was still hot, but not as hot as a few minutes ago.

Whew!

I felt like Wile E. Coyote just after he had one of his gaming tricks to backfire on him.

Willow just watched me with the amusement of an innocent bystander. I think she was probably thinking, "That is what you get for not offering me part of that hotdog!"

8 comments:

Michael Bains said...

"That is what you get for not offering me part of that hotdog!"

lol! You know it!

I'd've probably needed at Least two whole cans o' Coke to put that fire out. Niiice.

Eddie said...

Michael,
As a matter of fact, I did drink 2 Diet Cokes, about 16iz if bottled water and a cup of fat free Butter Pecan Ice Cream... although, I must admit, part of that, the last part, was my way of saying,"Pooor baby!" to myself.

kenju said...

I have a high tolerance for hot sauces and peppers, but that might do me in.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I always thought I had a high tolerance for hot spice too... but that one humbled me.

Jean Campbell said...

Sugar and fat will quench the fire. Real Coke, not diet; ice cream with fat in it.

Or you could just smooth a little Karo syrup over your burning lips and tongue, and eat some butter.

Eddie said...

Jean,
Thanks for home remedies. Long time, no read!

Anonymous said...

WHERE CAN YOU GET IT

Eddie said...

It has been so long ago, I forgot. I see in post I said a BBQ joint. I think it was one in Atlanta but I don't remember.