Tuesday, July 22, 2008

camp Ground Meeting


This week the Campground at Roswell and Sewell Mill Roads is having their annual campground meeting. Different preachers from different churches are invited to preach throughout the week.

Above is the Arbor where the preaching is done. This picture was taken by my mother-in-law in 1958. We carried her two years ago and I can't see that it has changed. I think someplace on the Arbor is a plaque of some kind that states it was erected before 1900, I forgot the exact year. And it has been going strong since, and as far as I know, without any structural change.

On the same grounds near the Arbor are cabins owned by old Marietta families that it is there tradition to come and spend the week for the preaching and fellowship, and I suppose to rough it. Back in the old days, the campground was considered far away, and that is why you camp, instead of going back and forth each day.

There is also a small school house that my mother attended as a girl. Each year the students hold a reunion... and each year the number of people attending shrink. But death is not always the reason someone didn't make it...sometimes, they just forgot - it is not always easy keeping up with dates when you are in your 80s.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

It looks like a great place for a meetin', barring snakes of course ;)

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
I think you are right...all around the place are wild bushes, trees, and a creek. Maybe the servant hangs around the tree that bares fruit.

Deborah Wilson said...

I've never been to a camp meeting but I have been to a Pentecostal tent revival over in Alabama (some distant members of my family were Pentecostal). The music and food was great!...Snake handling is illegal in most states now. But it's still practiced.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
I want to know more about the food.