Monday, July 02, 2007

Why creating blogs postings is self fulfilling



This picture was taken in 1964 at Clear Pool Boys Camp near Carmel, NY. My uncle was the camp’s director.

In the picture on the left standing is my cousin Rodney, I am the Indian bonnet with a tomahawk ready to do some serious business, my Navy friend Joe is in a sitting position, and standing on the right of Joe is my cousin Billy.

That was 43 years ago.

Yesterday Billy called me. He is no longer a the little boy I remember him as. He and his wife had four children, which the youngest is 21.

As you know I talk a lot about genealogy and drop names. Billy’s youngest daughter came across my blog. She told her dad and something I said about the dog getting his tail ran over and severed while we were there in the posting he was looking at stirred his memory.

When our uncle died last week I did not know how to get a hold of him or his brother. So, it is nice, and a relief, to know where he is at, and his brother Rodney.

My blog has also linked me up with relatives I did not know I had and was a major tool in seeking out people with similar interests (vintage comics, politics, etc) which also developed into friendships. It linked me up with some old school cronies from the days when things were in black and white.

Also, this past week a lady contacted me about my posting on Varner’s Drive-In Restaurant. Her father owned Varner’s and she thanked me for remembering the restaurant and her father.

Those were my formative years - how could I forget?

6 comments:

kenju said...

Eddie, I have had similar things happen and I know it is so very gratifying to locate - or be located by - people you have no idea how to contact. I found some cousins in Michigan, and old friens from school have found me. It's great! I love that photo, and you look good in the bonnet!

Eddie said...

Judy,
It is gratifying isn't it?
With my wild-eyed look I might look dangerous with that bonnet on until you see that slab hanging on my torso.

Suzanne said...

This is also why I love blogging, particularly if it connects me to dangerous bonnet wearers such as yourself.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
It was kept out of the news, but there was an Indian uprising someplace between Carmel and Tarrytown, New York in 1964. Instead of scalping all the white folks the wild Indian on the lose just raided a toupee shop and took away the stock.

Suzanne said...

That must have been some sight.

Eddie said...

There were bald headed people around that people realized.