Saturday, July 21, 2007

Walking With Willow

This is little things on walks with Willow the past week.

A chipmunk ran by and Willow made gave a tug on the leash to chase it but I tugged it and told her “Don’t, it will just taste like more.”

A shapely young lady ran by us and said, “Cute!”
Of course she meant the dog, but I immediately said in a way that I comprehended she was talking about me said, “Thanks!”
She laughed. So did Willow.

In a new subdivision with newly cut streets and no houses yet we came upon 12 Canadian Geese standing, apparently on a rest stop. The geese were divided into two groups, each having six members. The two groups were about fifteen feet part. Do flocks have sub-flocks. Or were there actually two groups who decided just happened to stop at the same area. I asked Willow did she think there were separate unrelated groups or two sub-groups making a larger group. She looked at me like she was saying, “Who cares?”

Then, I was thinking each year the geese base their flights on memory of the oldest. Say they landed in this subdivision with no houses – just new streets. And suppose next year they stop next year for the same rest stop – it might be in somebody’s swimming pool – which I am sure it would be ok with them.

A flock of geese flew over. Several of them were honking wildly like they were disagreeing with the leader on the course. Maybe it was the first year for the lead goose. Maybe he was a replacement – maybe the main lead goose got killed and they have to rely on a new one and some of the older heads knew he was off course.

We walk by a newly completed subdivision. The outside has sprinklers watering the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street and also the grass between the sidewalk and the wall of the subdivision. When Willow and I first ran down it the sprinklers got us wet and on our return Willow refused to go through that shower tunnel again. She just flat refused. So, we walked around into street. And two other times after that we had to walk to in the street.
I am thinking about calling somebody and complain. The sidewalk belongs to the county and so does the little strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street. Who over controls the sprinklers are barring Willow and I from using the sidewalk.

After walking about 20 minutes I start running. Willow has instantly picked up on that and starts running too. She gets so enthused over use running she ends up pulling me faster than I intended….. she has a lot of training she needs to do to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walking with my dog is one of the contemplative things i do. It is also the highlight of her day.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Yes it is the highlight of my dog's day too.
She knows me too well. I guess there are certain motions I go through getting ready that she has picked up - like putting on my heart monitor and putting on a bright hat (to combat traffic), and my dog tags in case I get ran over, someone can call Anna and tell her to scrape me off the road. As I put on each item she gets more excited and hyper.
It is almost doing a striptease in reverse.

kenju said...

The difference between you and mr. kenju is that he would have immediately thought the girl was talking to him!!

I do love the name Willow for a dog!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Maybe Mr. Kenju knows.
With me, if a young lady spoke to me I would know immediately I reminded her of her grandfather.