Sunday, July 29, 2007

I Hear Things In My Head


Like many people if I have just a hint of a movie before I realize it the music for that movie is playing in my head.

I guess a good example is “Rain Drops Keeps Falling On My head” from “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”. And any musical from “Annie Get Your Gun” to “Westside Story”… I find myself humming the tunes of the show. Mention “Blackboard Jungle” and I get the beat of “Rock Around the Clock” in my head.

However, my mind plays tricks on me. Recently I watched some of “Grapes of Wrath” the Tivo copied… after I watched 15 minutes so and walked away I found myself humming Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land”… which I don’t think was in the movie, but it should have been. And the next day I might watch 15 or 20 minutes more and again “This Land Is Your Land” played endlessly like a broken record for a while.

Which reminds me – not that it has anything to do with the subject – I’m sure Gabby Hayes was in “Grapes of Wrath”. I would recognize that toothless voice anywhere. However, looking over the stars I did not see him listed by Gabby Hayes or his real name John Hayes.

Another trick my mind plays: When I hear Gene Kelly”s “Singing in the Rain” I don’t think of Gene Kelly dancing and singing in the rain, and sloshing water. I think of “Clockwork Orange” and the hoodlums stomping and beating a man senseless.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bird said...

when i was young, my dad and i would watch westerns with gabby hayes in them. i loved him!

3:23 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

by the way, thank ALOT because now i have "raindrops keep falling on my head" stuck IN MY HEAD!

3:24 AM  
Blogger ET said...

Bird,
At least you don't have YMCA playing as broken record.

3:33 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I think I recall that Gabby's name was John.

You should watch CanCan. I saw the 1960 version last night and Cole Porter's music is still running through my mind. I'm going to post about it tomorrow.

5:59 AM  
Blogger ET said...

Judy,
I'll be on the lookout for "Can Can". On a comment to Bird I jokingly told her at least "YMCA" isn't playing in her head.
After I typed it it infested my head and started playing over and over.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

If you heard voices, you could be a TV evangelist. Luckily you dont. I'm like you. I have music playing in my head sometimes. So did Charles Manson, according to the book "Helter Skelter." There's something the three of us have in common.

2:19 PM  
Blogger ET said...

Steve,

Well usually, I don't hear voices unless my earphones are on. But, if I do, that would mean that Son of Sam and I had two things in common.

3:40 PM  
Blogger MichaelBains said...

The voices in my head are tellin' me I'm reading the right blogs.

I also see Clockwork Orange up yonder when I hear RKFIMH. Great minds, and all that, eh. {-;

5:38 AM  
Blogger ET said...

Michael,
You are right - all great minds think alike - and maybe all warped minds think alike also.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter script