Sunday, July 29, 2007

I Hear Things In My Head


Like many people if I have just a hint of a movie before I realize it the music for that movie is playing in my head.

I guess a good example is “Rain Drops Keeps Falling On My head” from “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”. And any musical from “Annie Get Your Gun” to “Westside Story”… I find myself humming the tunes of the show. Mention “Blackboard Jungle” and I get the beat of “Rock Around the Clock” in my head.

However, my mind plays tricks on me. Recently I watched some of “Grapes of Wrath” the Tivo copied… after I watched 15 minutes so and walked away I found myself humming Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land”… which I don’t think was in the movie, but it should have been. And the next day I might watch 15 or 20 minutes more and again “This Land Is Your Land” played endlessly like a broken record for a while.

Which reminds me – not that it has anything to do with the subject – I’m sure Gabby Hayes was in “Grapes of Wrath”. I would recognize that toothless voice anywhere. However, looking over the stars I did not see him listed by Gabby Hayes or his real name John Hayes.

Another trick my mind plays: When I hear Gene Kelly”s “Singing in the Rain” I don’t think of Gene Kelly dancing and singing in the rain, and sloshing water. I think of “Clockwork Orange” and the hoodlums stomping and beating a man senseless.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

when i was young, my dad and i would watch westerns with gabby hayes in them. i loved him!

Unknown said...

by the way, thank ALOT because now i have "raindrops keep falling on my head" stuck IN MY HEAD!

Eddie said...

Bird,
At least you don't have YMCA playing as broken record.

kenju said...

I think I recall that Gabby's name was John.

You should watch CanCan. I saw the 1960 version last night and Cole Porter's music is still running through my mind. I'm going to post about it tomorrow.

Eddie said...

Judy,
I'll be on the lookout for "Can Can". On a comment to Bird I jokingly told her at least "YMCA" isn't playing in her head.
After I typed it it infested my head and started playing over and over.

Anonymous said...

If you heard voices, you could be a TV evangelist. Luckily you dont. I'm like you. I have music playing in my head sometimes. So did Charles Manson, according to the book "Helter Skelter." There's something the three of us have in common.

Eddie said...

Steve,

Well usually, I don't hear voices unless my earphones are on. But, if I do, that would mean that Son of Sam and I had two things in common.

Michael Bains said...

The voices in my head are tellin' me I'm reading the right blogs.

I also see Clockwork Orange up yonder when I hear RKFIMH. Great minds, and all that, eh. {-;

Eddie said...

Michael,
You are right - all great minds think alike - and maybe all warped minds think alike also.