Thursday, July 05, 2007

I Think Our Dog Wears a Wristwatch.




I am now taking Willow for a walk every morning. Usually we leave the house between 7 and 7:30. The morning of the 4th I slept later than usual. I did not get up until about 6:45. I let Willow out, she did her business and came back in. At 7:00 she started demanding something. She whined and whimpered and barked. She knew it was time, according to her watch, anyway.

I got her leash that we walk with and she got very excited. She knew it was time to go for a walk. I hope she sets her wristwatch when we go off Day Light Saving Time.

We also run together for an increasing segment on each of our walks.

I heard that it is good to talk to your dog. You are to carry to on a normal conversation with the dog, just like you would anybody. And, the dog feels you two are communicating… he or she might even tell you a joke or something.

On our walk route most mornings there are two beagles behind a fence that bark at us. The other day, to keep the conversation flowing I told her about the Beagle Boys in Walt Disney Comics and how they are always trying to figure out a way to steal all of Uncle Scrooge McDuck’s cash from his huge money bin. I told Willow they Beagle Boys had prison numbers on their shirts and they always wore masks. I also told her that contrary to popular opinion, Walt Disney did not illustrate Walt Disney Comics, but they were mostly illustrated by Carl Barks – during the height of their popularity.

Yesterday after we left the Beagle Boys barking at us behind a fence, we went down the street, onto another street and ran 5 minutes. Then followed our footsteps back. Just before we got to the yard with the Beagle Boys barking Willow decided to take a dump.

I was a good citizen. I had two plastic sacks with me, one to use as a glove and the other to hold the contents. The only problem that morning was that I decided to use the plastic newspaper covers that is on our newspaper every morning. Willow’s shit was extra soft and easily adhered to everything… before long my fingers had soft shit on them, so did the outside of the plastic bags, and also the handle of the leash…. A Dog Shit Midas touch!

We walked again by the yard with the Beagle Boys looking through the chain-link fence barking.

I told Willow I ought to walk over and dump the dog shit over the fence with them and they would eat it and it would gone. Willow saw the humor in that, she laughed. Some people might thing she was panting – but I know when someone is laughing at my wit.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

And that is why I have a pet rabbit.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
I bet your pet rabbit doesn't laugh at your witticisms nearly as much as my dog does mine.

kenju said...

So.......how long did you wash your hands when the walk was over?


EEEEWWWWW, Eddie. Take moist wipes with you next time.

Eddie said...

Judy,
A little turd smear is good for character.

Suzanne said...

No, my rabbit sits in his little area looking surly. Unless he thinks he's getting fed. Then he runs in circles around my legs.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Us bragging about our pets reminds me of a bumper sticker today: My Dog Is Smarter Than Your Child Honor Student!"