Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Cemetery in Douglasville, Georgia


The Cemetery tour continues.

This is a cemetery in downtown Douglasville. It is next door to a funeral home. The funeral home looks fairly new but the cemetery looks fairly old.

The only marker I know is my first cousin Jerry Hunter. He is a few months older than I am. He was a pilot in Vietnam. He was shot out of the sky.

His mother is buried in this same plot but failed to take a picture of her marker. Now, his father is buried there also. And his mother’s parents, the Ogles are sharing the plot also.

Hunter Park is a sports park (ball fields) in Douglasville is named in Jerry’s honor as being the first person from that city killed in the Vietnam war.

His father and mother took a keen interest in all veteran affairs and ceremonies in memory of Jerry, their only child.

4 comments:

cbish68 said...

Keep it up, Eddie. My mother lives in Douglasville and I go through there often. I also know Hunter Park well, but never investigated why it was named as such.

I love it when history fleshes out the things in our lives that we overlook, and it reminds us of how close we all really are...

Eddie said...

Chris,
You are right.

EHT said...

Hadn't made the connection I say as I slap my head.....I have spent many hours at Hunter Park with Dear Son who played ball for a long time.

I'm assuming the grave is at Rosehaven...a very sweet lady from my church is buried there. My daughter and the other girls from the youth group visit the grave often and leave her things.

D'ville is growing and growing...

Eddie said...

eht,
Yes it is - Douglasville is growing and growing. A couple of years ago on a Valentine's night we went to a blues and barbecue place in dv in a shopping center.. the name of it was the Blue Rooster or the Golden Rooster or something with Rooster in it. They didn't mean "Blues" as in B.B. King... they meant "Blues" as in Hank Williams.