Thursday, July 26, 2007

Marietta Square - years ago


This is an aerial view of the Square in Marietta that I have talked so much about. I think it was taken about 1958, based on structures no longer there and so-forth.

I went to the Marietta History Museum yesterday to buy a couple of books for my mother-in-law for her upcoming birthday.

I read in the paper the day before that the Museum was hosting hundreds of kids that morning to demonstrate some Marietta History at 10:30. I decided I had to be there at 10:00am and out of there in minutes before being surrounded by a mob of screaming kids.

I have a tendency to be places early. Even early for me. If I decided I am going to be someplace at a given time I allow myself time incase the traffic is backed up because of a wreck or something. I was outside the building at 9:45. They don’t open until 10.

The Marietta Museum is on the second floor of the Kennesaw House. The Kennesaw House was a hotel back in the 1800s. Andrew Raiders (Great Locomotive Chase) spent the night there before they stole the General locomotive. I think it is 3 stories had. Before the Civil War it was 4 stories high but the 4th level was destroyed during the war.

Outside the building was a young lady dressed in period costume. She was attaching balloons all over the place. She had to pacify the upcoming onslaught of kids. I asked her was the museum opened yet. She looked at her watch and said, “Yeah, go ahead.”

I didn’t notice her watch, I wonder if it was a watch for the period she was dressing for. If it was digital, then I am sure a little kid would call her attention to it. But does the watch work good. I know it was 9:45 and they don’t open until 10:00 and the fact she looked at her watch and said, “Yeah, go ahead.’ If her watch isn’t working correctly, then at 10:15 she will think it is 10:30 and she might stomp her foot and storm off in a flutter because no kids have shown up.

I’m sure it worked itself out.

Up in the museum people were rushing around getting ready for the kids coming. They didn’t notice me being there earlier than I should have. I went to the book for sale area and picked out the two books on local history and went to the counter where the cash register is. Someone saw that I was standing there ready to purchase something with my wallet out and they hollered for a certain person to come from the back room. A Far-Eastern Indian man materialized. He rang up the two books and deducted 20% because it was their “Christmas In July Sale” that all the merchants of the Square were involved in.

Then I saw the aerial photo of the Square in full color. I looked at the details and there were things in the picture that has been torn down or added to. I had to have it – at a 20% discount of course.

It is a 11x14 print. I scanned it it home. There are several inches around the whole thing that went unscanned. A lot of things important in my early life were chopped off. Hopefully in the next day or so I will go to Kinko's and scan it again, this time getting it all and then what? Do I email it to myself or bring along a CD or what? Maybe I better call them.

The Square is called such because the streets go around Glover Park, which is Square shape… and then the merchants, facing the park, then the side streets, a block away on each side… it is king of like a square shape splash.

The park has since been redone to look like a typical hometown U.S.A. park with brick paths, sculptured bushes, and so on…. The park in this picture was a hangout for drunk men drinking out of paper sacks, jack-leg preachers preaching standing on park benches, and so on… like a real small town park. Now, it is a make believe small town park.

Actress Joann Woodward, who spent much of her formative years in Marietta and Paul Newman donated a good deal of money to refurbish the park.

You can see the old courthouse that us natives wail because it is gone. Up near the top center is a big house-looking building that was Waterman Street School I spent 7 years there in constant trouble. The building is now torn down and replaced with a Salvation Army building.

Sometimes I hate progress.

7 comments:

kenju said...

Me too, but I love Joanne Woodward!

Eddie said...

I think Joanne Woodward is great too. One time Paul Newman was asked something like why didn't he ever have an affair and he said "Why have hamburger out when you can have steak at home?"
She is not in as many movies as she used to be in. I think the most recent was where she just about owned a little mill town. If I remember correctly her and Ed Hunt were the biggies in it. I forgot the name of it.

EHT said...

I love Joanne Woodward as well.

I need to get up there and visit that museum....seems like things always get in the way.

I spent the day yesterday in Canton with my father and step-mother. I took my scanner and spent the scanning all sorts of old pictures while Daddy told me when they made, and who the people were. I plan on posting some of them later on at my Georgia site.

Eddie said...

eht,
It is great modern technology made it possible for you to do that.
When I was about your age I visited my relatives with a 35mm camera with a copying board with lights angled at 45 degrees on each side.
I went to the Smyrna History Museum today.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for uploading that picture. The contrast between how the square used to be and how it is now is remarkable. I have to agree with the hating progress, and there is an awful lot to hate with the square.

Eddie said...

M&D&J,
I agree. But it is still the Square so, there are a lot to love too (attached with memories).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.