Thursday, August 06, 2009

Years Ago and also Years Before That


In today's MARIETTA DAILY JOURNAL there is a reprint of an article from their July 9, 1908 issue. Over 101 years ago.

The article is about the Kennesaw Chapter of the U.D.C. (United Daughters of the Confederacy) unveiling the Confederate Memorial at Marietta's Confederate Cemetery.

According to the article it was a big event. People dressed in their finest and most elite of the southern elite were the speakers.

Above is a picture of my great aunt, Lela Octavia "Tade" Tyson Carr (1886 - 1857). I am guessing she posed with the memorial very shortly after the dedication, maybe that same day.

Aunt Tade lived near Acworth Beach. As kids we would briefly visit her while waiting on daddy to pick us up after we had a day of fun on the beach. She died not too many years after that little segment of our lives.

2 comments:

Mama P said...

I am wondering who your father was. If you were the nephew of Lela Tyson, she would have been my great grand aunt. Her brother was my great grandfather. Thomas Greenbury Tyson, Sr. I have enjoyed your research on the Tyson family.

Eddie said...

Patricia. Lela Octovia Tyson Carr was also my great aunt. Thomas Greenbury "Bud" Tyson and my grandmother, Minnie Victoria Tyson Hunter were siblings. My father was Edwin Tyson Hunter, Sr and I am Edwin Tyson Hunter, Jr.
I been to your great grandparents' graves in Kennesaw and wondered who was putting the flowers on the graves. Email me sometime.
ethunter@bellsouth.net