Monday, August 31, 2009

GOP Eating Meeting & Greeting


This Tuesday at the Good Old People (GOP) Eating Meeting the guest of honor scheduled is Boyd McKeown, the Marietta High School Band Director for many years.

Although I don’t think we have ever spoken, I do observe people and he appeared to be a very nice guy.

I never had a teacher/student confrontation or run-in with Mr. McKeown but I know of one incident he would probably love to have wrung some of our necks. Parks, some others that I forgot who, and I carried a bunch of rolls of toilet paper to the football game on Friday night. Parks was very talented in throwing rolls of toilet paper just right onto the field. Just for starters to get people warmed up he threw a roll up so it unraveled as it traveled. It looped over a line that connected overhead field lights. It looked like festive crate paper. Mastro!!!

More rolls were thrown. Lines of toilet paper wrapped around players in motion, some leaving long tails as they ran.

Then it was half-time. I forgot if it was the visiting band or the Marietta High School band that several rolls of toilet paper got tangled up in their marching - but they didn't miss a beat. They deserve a big hoorah!

6 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

Interesting, our GOP Candidate for the US Representative, District 2 is Mike Keown. I wonder if these gentlemen are related?

Mike Keown was born and raised in Canton. Somehow he ended up in Coolidge, GA (near Thomasville) preaching at the Baptist Church.

All about Mike Keown

We'll be voting for Mr. Keown. I had a neighbor once who always voted the Ins out, regardless.

Jean Campbell said...

I guess they're not related. Keown and McKeown. I should read more closely. But they have the GOP and their hairstyles in common.

Anonymous said...

ACTUALLY, THEY ARE BOTH RELATED TO "RED" COWAN, WHO OWNED COWAN SUPPLY CO.

PR

ALSO, I HAVE AN UNCLE IN ARIZONA.

Anonymous said...

Everybody liked and respected "Mr. Mac", and he was dedicated to having a superior band. You always knew when he was about to blow -- his face turned bright red.

To be a majorette, you had to also play an instrument and attend band class, so I chose the clarinet (I was told it was easy). I loathed that clarinet, and purposely "forgot" my reed several times, which infuriated Mr. Mac. Overall, it was a great time getting to strut my stuff at all the football games (9th grade).
I'm trying to remember the other majorettes that year. There was Phylis Boatner, Judy & Jackie Moore, Jan Barton, Shirley Kemp, Patsy Johnston ... maybe more.
G

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your toilet paper caper! I was probably there and just don't remember.
G

Eddie said...

Geri,

Patsy Spinks, Linda Anderson, Jackie Davis.... that is all I can think of off hand.

Or maybe they came later, or at least Patsy and Linda. Jackie Davis was probably the same year as you.

PR,
I don't have an uncle in Arizona but I do have some distant relatives I uncovered in Arizona.. a bunch of them... they are Mormons.

Nell,
Your last canceled out the first.