Thursday, August 13, 2009

Edwin "Ed" Tyson Hunter, Sr. (1911-1988)



My daddy was born on this date, August 13, 1911, 98 years ago, in Marietta. He died in Marietta, July 14, 1988, at age 77.

He seemed to have known everybody in town by their first names. I remember he would pay his utilities bills in person. It would not occur to him to mail them a check. The Cobb County Water System, and utility companies, such as Atlanta Gas, Georgia Power, and the telephone companies had/have cashiers. He felt paying them directly without going through the post office he knew they got it. And I think to him it was a good excuse to walk around the downtown Square and possibly run into old friends and talk and catchup with them. As I get older I understand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, POP !

Si's blog said...

Neat story. See where you got it.

Anonymous said...

Handsome dude, your Dad!
I wonder if my dad's obit ever appeared in the Daily Journal, or my mother's obit a few years later? My brother, Bundy, had complete control of the estate. Talk about greed. My family has been suing each other for years :)

Strange what happens to families when high stakes are involved.
G

Eddie said...

Geri,

Yep, greed can destroy a good relationship, kinship or friendship.