Tuesday, August 11, 2009

1954 Marietta Yellow Pages L thru Part of M



Click to enlarge to make it readable.

What one remembers is, well, what one remembers. Different stuff for different people. It is sort of like the quote, "Art is in the eyes of the beholder" - or in this case, Memory is in the eyes of the beholder.

On this, under machines I learned two things I didn't know:

1. Harris Machine used to be Dobbs Street. When I knew Harris Machine it was on the 4-Lane, in a hangar looking building near the corner of Seminole Place. It was on by my class-mate Scott Harris's father. And I delivered the Atlanta Journal newspaper to Mr. Harris's brother, who, was named Mr. Harris also.

2. Carson Machine used to be on Butler Street. Butler Street had a mattress factory, several garages, S.A. White Oil Company, and on the corner Powell's Barber Shop. And just over a fence, a sort of miniature rail road yards. I didn't know Carson Machine Company was there. When I knew Carson Machine it was on the 4 Lane South, almost across the street from the bowling ally. Mr. George Carson's children were high school chums of mine, Kay and George.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUES, AND KAY HAD NICE BAZOOMAS!I DON'T THINK GEORGE DID, THOUGH!

PR

Eddie said...

Which George?

Si's blog said...

Interesting old 'phone books.

What will people be saying about ours in 50 years? Probably "Phone book, yellow pages, what are those?". Save your yellow pages folks. They might become worth millions.

Anonymous said...

Awww yes, the Carson family, and who could possibly forget Kay. They lived on Walnut Dr. a few houses down from us. They also had a ferocious dog.
G

Anonymous said...

GEORGE GRIFFIN BOW TIE AND ALL.

GOOD TURNOUT TODAY.

PR

Eddie said...

Geri,

I bet they had a ferocious dad one evening when big George came home and found that we drunk from his private moonshine collection.

Anonymous said...

Moonshine collection, lol.
I think we Heard y'all that night.

Listen, you should get Rupert's brother to tell you about my mom's antique carving set that disappeared one night. I laugh everytime I think about it.