Friday, August 21, 2009

Vanishing Cobb Picture Project Presented


Yesterday we took my mother-in-law to the Vanishing Cobb Picture presentation at the Marietta History Museum. I didn't count heads as I sometimes do, but it looked like twenty to thirty people showed up.

We took her because number one it is interesting and you get to know about your county.

And number two because she lent the museum over 100 pictures to be scanned and I lent them about 80. Between both of us we contributed over 200 pictures to the Vanishing Cobb Project.

The Curator Amy Reed said so far they have received over 1,000 pictures. On a computer slide-show format she showed to the audience probably sixty or so. Amy did an excellent job explaining details of certain pictures, how to figure out the time frame, digital pictures vs the old fashion Kodak kind. She knew all about preserving photographs and how to get the most information out of them.

Four of the pictures are some we lent them:

Top photo: The Ferry is Roger’s Ferry with Buck Jones with his mule taking a ride over the Chattahoochee River.



The funeral of the baby with the siblings standing around – the oldest girl is my mother-in-law, now 89 years old




The mother holding a kid with her daughter beside her… I’m the one being held by my Mama and my sister is on the ground. The yard is in the Clay Homes in about 1944. The building in the background is a vocational training building to teach home coming soldiers a trade. I don’t know who the little boy is standing. I thought about taking a bow.


The kid with the goat is my mother-in-law’s first cousin, Charles Loy Foster.

The museum has four or five big volumes of these pictures in Thumbnail size that you are welcome to look at. If you want one I’m sure they will be happy to print it off for you – for a fee.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

EDWIN T. JR. NICE PICTURES ESPECIALLY THE ONE ABOUT CLAY HOMES AND THE TRAINING FACILITY. ONE QUESTION. WHERE IS THAT TRUCK NOW?
PR

Eddie said...

PR,
I don't know.
Along that same time the Clayton family parked a car in the same place. You know the Claytons: Carol Joe, J.L., Clifford, Jerry, Avalou, and Geradine? Anyway, the old car Mr. Clayton drove he had to crank it with a hand crank that was in the front. Mr. Clayton taught German at McKechen (?) High School.

Anonymous said...

R O C K,
I ONLY KNEW JOBY AND J.L. JOBY USED TO HANG AROUND WITH ALL DARK A LOT. WE DOUBLE DATED A FEW TIMES IN HIS FAMILY CAR. IT SEEMS LIKE IT WAS A 1949 ERA PONTIAC STRAIGHT SHIFT.WE ENDED UP ONE NIGHT PARKING IN FRONT OF BENTLEY'S HORSE STABLES OUT BY BY BLACKJACK MT.THE TRUCK IN THE PICTURE APPEARS TO BE A 1935-1938 MODEL, BUT I DO NOT KNOW THE MAKE. MAYBE A DODGE OR STUDEBAKER?

PR

Anonymous said...

IT'S 'KEECHERN
PR

Anonymous said...

ROCK I LOOKED THE TRUCK AND IT LOOKS LIKE A 1938 CHEVY. MR. NO IT ALL
PR

Anonymous said...

ALSO, I SEE YOU HAVE SOME GOAT PICTURES IN YOUR PAST.
HMMM?

Eddie said...

I should have looked up that high school name - too early to do any digging.

The truck might have belonged to the Sullivan family, they lived next door to the Claytons. The Sullivan's of the concessions at Larry Bell Park - children Eddie & Dickie Sullivan. Eddie died a couple years ago and Dickie works at Cobb Hardware.

cbish68 said...

When is the next picture presentation at the museum?

Eddie said...

Chris,
September they will have a history of southern music by Bryan Black, director of music of the 1st Methodist church.

Probably the next picture presentation will be October the 15th at 11:30... it is all Oakland Cemetery by Cathy Kaemmerlen, who has a bunch of Oakland stories and history... I honestly don't know if she will show pictures... seems like she would.