Sunday, June 21, 2009

SUNDAY FUNNIES - MAD #7 - Sherlock Holmes


click on each page to see the details and read the balloons.

I thought we would change things a bit.

On Sunday Funnies when I did a MAD comic I would pretty much show every story so you would know pretty much what the whole comic was.

Enough of that! After thinking about it, running the whole comic is overwhelming for you to read page by page.

Now, with MAD comics, until I change it again, only one story will be presented. This shouldn’t overwhelm you as much and more importantly, it allows me to stretch my MAD comics over a longer period of time.

This is MAD #7. The cover was drawn by editor Harvey Kurtzman, which is reference to the comic’s first story, which is here, a take-off on Sherlock Holmes by illustrated by Will Elder.



Also on the inside cover MAD subscription hard-sell is by Will Elder.

The story is absolutely cluttered with Elder’s chicken-fat wit. Every panel has little jokes piled on top of other jokes. For instance, after Sherlock was playing the violin and removes his look-alike dummy from the window we see in the background the dummy with his hands over his ears – which I interpreted to be that even the dummy couldn’t stand Sherlock’s violin music. But it doesn’t plainly say that. You have to think.

Take it away, Bill!





3 comments:

Pappy said...

I love it! A true classic from Mad Comics; everyone will get a real kick out of this funny story.

kenju said...

Happy Father's Day, Eddie!

Si's blog said...

Really is great. Made my Monday morning. Took me back to my formative years.