Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Morning of An Evening With Johnny Mercer







On Willow and my walk this morning I listened to An Evening with Johnny Mercer. During this recording session Johnny Mercer must have been at a piano and talked what came to mind as he played his songs. He would tell a little experiences or talks which suddenly inspired him to write timeless musical pieces.

That got me thinking about Johnny Mercer. Duh! Johnny Mercer is another Georgian we can be proud of. He was born and raised in Savannah.


We toured his house in Savannah once. People, us included, were not touring it because it use to belong to Johnny Mercer, but another time belonged to Jim Williams, of MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL fame.

Not long ago I mentioned Roy Rogers singing I’M AN OLD COWHAND (FROM THE RIO GRANDE). I learned this morning that Johnny wrote that song and what inspired him and where. He spent a couple days in Texas traveling from Hollywood to Savannah.

While in Savannah that time I spent hours in the Bonaventure Cemetery doing some genealogy cemetery digging. I came across the Mercer plot. See above.

Another unsung (pardon the pun) hero, or song writer-poet from Georgia is Joe South. The song I think of that he wrote instantly is GAMES PEOPLE PLAY. Joe is from here in Cobb County, Smyrna to be exact.

4 comments:

kenju said...

You're just a wealth of musical lore, Eddie. When are you going to write some songs?

Eddie said...

Judy,

I starting writing one about 60 years ago. It starts off as"
Singing and Digging,,,,

I haven't figured out what the next line is yet.

Si's blog said...

Taught for five years in Hilton Head. Loved going to Charleston and Savannah. And when Midnight came out, made the tour around to see the house and the cemetery.

And ready for your music. "I'm an old Mad hand from down in Marietta land." There I've written a new first line for you.

Eddie said...

Si,
And maybe the chorus would come in ever so often and sing "What me worry?"