Monday, May 07, 2007

The Whole Picture


I think statistics are interesting. They mean something. And some times they are misleading. Sometimes they give you a big picture and sometimes you need to see a bigger picture to figure out why certain numbers are the way they are. Are there hidden variables?

For instance, if you see statistic figures saying 75% of a the people in small southern mountain town goes to one of the three churches in town and another statistic states that the crime has a very low rate in that town. You would think by looking at the two figures that having such a large percentage of church goers was a heavy influence on the crime. Maybe yes and maybe no.

Maybe all the law breakers go to the next town over to break the law where they would least likely be recognized. Or maybe the Barney Fife cop of the little town has 6 bullets instead of one and he is high-strung. There could be a number of reasons.

One interesting statistic is that Kennesaw, Georgia, has the lowest crime rate for a town of its size. And – Kennesaw has a reverted gun control law. By law, you are required to own a gun to live in the Kennesaw City Limits. Are there other laws that are not in the big picture? I don’t know. I have heard it said that their “must own a gun law” is unenforceable. The last I heard no one has ever been cited for not owning a gun.

Here is an interesting statistic:

I forgot the actual numbers, but this is close enough to ponder.

Over 50% of U.S. Marines would report a fellow U.S. serviceman if he/she shot an unarmed citizen in Iraq.

Way less than 50% of the U.S. Army personnel would report a fellow U.S. Service man if he/she shot an unarmed citizen in Iraq.

I wonder why?

6 comments:

kenju said...

Perhaps it is the caliber of men who become Marines and perhaps it is the lack of teaching in the Army.

Eddie said...

Judy,
It is something to ponder.

cbish68 said...

I think its indicative of whats going on in our society as a whole. The last generation had General Douglas MacArthur's noble and eloquent idea of Duty, Honor, Country. Nowadays, I would guess that sentiment is being replaced by the selfish and shortsighted idea of me, me, me.

Eddie said...

Chris,
I'm sure Gen Douglas MacArthur was noble in his own way - just ask him. When I hear his name I am reminded of the time after WWI the soldiers marched on D.C. for some kind of health and monetarily benefits and had the ones that refused to disperse trampled by horses and I think some were even mowed down.
Another survey in Iraq,a high percentage of male Iroquoians - something like over 75% thought it was ok to kill American G.I.s in cold blood. So, that is sort of tit for tat.... I wonder how Bush thinks there will ever be a peaceful end to all that?
Another thought about the Army soldier survey and the results: I wonder if the survey was done after the Army lowered its standards to keep its recruitment figures up?

Anonymous said...

"I" shall return..."I" have returned....

Eddie said...

Well, he did smoke a corncob pipe, he needs a little credit for that.