Thursday, May 10, 2007

Biblical Names


One of the books I am reading or rereading is the Bible. You can find it all in the Good Book… sex, violence, orgies, soap operas – you name it (providing what you are seeking is not electronically inspired).

Genesis 30 is an interesting chapter… is that what you call the segments – chapters?

In Genesis 30 Rachel, wife of Jacob cannot have children. I am not quiet sure God arranged the details or not, Rachel had Jacob sleep with her slave-girl Bilhah and the purpose of the “sleep with” was to provide her with a son she named Dan (meaning “Justice”). Then the bilhah had another gave birth to another son, which Rachel named him Naphtali (meaning “Wrestling”).

If I understand it correctly this was all because Rachel was jealous because her sister Leah could have children and she couldn’t. So, for some reason, Leah’s man is no longer able to provide the ingredients to make children… so, after an argument over some mandrakes, to make things right Rachel sends Jacob to visit Leah to plant seeds.

Leah had a son she named Issachar (meaning “Wages).

Again Leah became pregnant and had a son which she named Zubulun (meaning “Gifts).

“Then God remembered about Rachel’s plight and answered her prayers by giving her a child. For she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. “God has removed the dark slur against my name,” she said. And she named him Joseph (meaning “May I also have another!” “

The above paragraph is word for word out of The Living Bible.

I like that system of naming your child. If I had know that system Rocky would have been named PGMEAHMD (meaning “Please give me a hundred million dollars.”) And Adam would be named ITITAHMDIYDM (meaning “I think I’ll take another hundred million dollars if you don’t mind.”) And, we might have even tried for a third child which I would name ITITAROFTBBRT (meaning“I think I’ll take a rack of tender bbq ribs too.”).

6 comments:

kenju said...

Too funny!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Bible thumping funny.

Suzanne said...

And this, Eddie, is why you remain one of my favorite bloggers.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Thank you, I know you don't toss around complements so easily without thought.

Anonymous said...

I need to blow the dust off my own bible and read it. I think you are right. You can always find some gems in there that its' regular readers kind of skip right over at their convenience.

Eddie said...

Steve,
That is right, you can take any view you want, find a passage to back you up, so all you have to do is thump it.