Sunday, May 20, 2007

Genealogy Stuff

Genealogy is like a box of chocolates – you never know what you are going to get – -distorted quote from Forrest Gump.

Yesterday I input the data on about 100 of my distant Trammell relatives from my Family Tree program onto my Legacy Genealogy program.. Most of the names were just names and dates of a Trammell branch in Arkansas.

There were two Trammells that had nuggets of surprise:

Isaac Van Buren Trammell (1863-1924) married Julia Cassandra Wallace 18 November 1900, in Gentry, Benton Co., Arkansas.

They had eight children.

Here is the kicker:

Isaac was blinded at the age of 17. He hit his eyes on a peg in the barn. He was able to do many things. He got around on a horse that was blind friendly to him.

Although my information did not say, he probably supported his family, as was the manly thing to do. I wonder what he did?

Now that is someone you have to admire.

The other was Lonnie Trammell (1888-1924). Nonnie married Beatrice Balswick.

The kicker:
Lonnie was a deputy sheriff in Gentry, Arkansas. He tried to break up a fight at Sigmund's Restaurant between Sigmund and Lonnie's father-in-law. Lonnie got shot and died.

Not that it matters, but Lonnie and Isaac died the same year.

4 comments:

Janet said...

Lonnie Trammell was my Grandfather and he was trying to break up the fight. He was not involved in the fight.

Eddie said...

Janet,
That is what I said - that he tried to break up a fight.
Do you know anything about the Trammell who fought at the Alamo?

Christine said...

Wow! I was running around the internet, doing some googling of my great grandfather, Lonnie Trammell, and found your blog. My grandmother is Alice Trammell, one of his two surviving children. Thanks for sharing the "nuggets of surprise." My grandma never talked about her family, so not a lot is known. You helped fill in the name of the restaurant and her mother's last name. I had it listed as Waldeck. Thanks again.

Eddie said...

Christine,

I have a lot of Trammell genealogy information and will start sharing it soon.