Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Hindenburg Explosion at Lakehurst, New Jersey



70 years ago today, May 6, 1937, at NAS Lakehurst, New Jersey, the German’s blimp, The Hindenburg exploded into flames while in the process of landing at the airstrip.

About this time every year I hear the then-live play-by-play of the landing until the announcer emotionally flips out when the explosion happens.

The Hindenburg was on a goodwill tour.

In 1963, just 26 years and a few months later I wandered up to the same NAS Lakehurst base, where I would spend the next almost two years. The picture above was in a building behind the counter at the Main Gate which was also the Base Security Office and where the Officer of the Day’s office

Off and on during the next 22 or so months I would come across that picture hanging in an different offices.

It was the base’s moment. The eyes of the whole world were on it. It was its claim to fame.



The big hangar on the left is huge. It was there in 1937, there when I was there, and I understand it is there today. Lakehurst was chosen for the landing of the Hindenburg because of the size of that hangar. Our Squadron work place and office space was the hangar on the right, which is my claim to fame.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My memory if different. I though we were in the end hangar, the one with the doors open.

Eddie said...

Reuben,
You are right, it is the one on the end. I was thinking right but typed it wrong. What I meant to say was the FAR right.
Hey! Where you been lately? You haven't materialized lately.