Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Better Than Thou and Royalty at Dinner


Yesterday evening the President and the First Lady gave a white tie dinner for the Queen and her hubby. It is the first time the Bushes have had a white-tie dinner at the White House.

That must have been very tiring for our President… to have to learn proper dinner etiquette plus royal protocol – the do’s and don’ts of dealing with the royal blood.

I wonder if he resisted himself from saying, “Did I hear a ‘royal flush’”? when the queen returned from the ladies’ room.

It would love to have been a fly on the wall with a tiny little video cameras to record just how many times George put his foot in his mouth. It might have been a bigger fiasco than if the Queen had dinner with the Marx Brothers.

I wonder why the Queen carries around a pocketbook? To carry an I.D.? To prove she is who she says she is? Maybe she has tip money in it. In case of the ladies’ room at the Whitehouse, I am sure an attendant would be there to hand her what she needs and that would call for a tip.

That is one thing I have to admire about George Bush…. As high and mighty as he thinks he is, he keeps the formality of it all down. He is just as clumsy with his verbal blunders as I am – which calls for casual surroundings.

Of course, we keep our white tie dinner affairs to a minimum also.

I just thought of a cartoon: Bush's valet is holding up several ties beside a shirt and tux. Bush thoughtfully says, "I think I'll go with the fauxpas."

2 comments:

kenju said...

You are SO funny! I always wondered why she carries a purse too, but if I were she, I'd need a tissue and some mints and maybe a small notebook (to write down Bush's faux pas!!)

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think she will need more than a small notebook to write down all of Bush's faux pases. She probably assigned an assistant to write down every word that comes out of the man's mouth.... and then she plans on making a 365 page a day calendar with his faux pases.... wait, that has already been done.