Saturday, February 07, 2009

Self Portrait


If you look over the bottles, into the mirror behind you can see my forehead. This picture was taken at Pat O'Brien's Bar in New Orleans in January 1965.

You might say, "Boy, he takes fuzzy pictures!"

Well, I do, but for this one I have an excuse. I did not want to use a flash so I hand-held it.

This was when the Naval ship I was on, THE USS NEWPORT NEWS, went to New Orleans to reenact the Battle of New Orleans with a HM British ship.

Remember the song, "We fired our guns and The British kept of coming"? Well, they sure did - and in 1965 they were still "of coming". HM sailors were all over New Orleans that week.

By the way, the War of 1812 was already over during that battle, the truces had already been agreed on and palms of hands spit on...l but nobody bother to tell Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson and his British counter-part - oh well, that was before blackberries and cell-phones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was "the British was a'coming", "and they kept a'coming"

Anonymous said...

I thought it was "the British was a'coming", "and they kept a'coming"

Eddie said...

A,
I think you are right.

Eddie said...

A,
I think you are right too.