Thursday, February 05, 2009

Old Laws


On this date in 1777 Georgia becomes 1st US state to abolish both entail & primogeniture.

I wasn’t sure what entail meant other than what I already thought it meant, like I did not exactly what the word entail entailed. Yuk yuk – get it?

I googled the words entail and primogeniture and found it more or less was the old English law that the first-born male was entitled to receive all of the inheritance.


Georgia lawmakers were modern trend makers back in 1777 when they abolished the entail & primogeniture system….. yep, they were groundbreakers…. Then, at the end of the day they went home to their plantations and whipped their slaves.

3 comments:

Si's blog said...

Also had to look up entail, also called fee tail. Primogeniture had heard of before. Entrails, also.

My children are welcome to try anything to get what I leave behind. Lots of luck, kids. They can have entrails. We have a standing joke that whenever they make fun of something stupid I do, I tell them I am taking them out of the will. Gets a lot of laughs.

kenju said...

My kids will be lucky to get anything! LOL

Eddie said...

Si and Judy,
I think after our will is read my sons will be singing "We got plenty of nothing!"