Thursday, October 22, 2009

Speaking of Honey...


My friend Jackie Gaskin saw the post Chicken Fat had on honey and all the possible health benefits derived from honey and cinnamon and shared the above picture with me.
It is a picture taken at the County Fair. This is a bee production exhibit put on by Jackie’s family.. Look! The little wide-eyed boy closest to the camera is Jackie. The family, I think mostly directed by his father, was a bee keeping family. See the vertical tube in the center of the picture. I think that would be called a chute. That is a take-off and landing tunnel for the female bees going out on nectar missions and coming back with a load.
Of course there is a hive on the table with all the workers doing what workers do in a hive. Did you know some of the bees job is to fan their wings to make a cooler working climate for the other bees? And the male bees are only good for one thing. The have an a brief relationship with the queen and – well, they served their purpose, so they are no longer an asset but an liability and liability in a well synchronized bee hive is not accepted.
I thought it was really good to have made that exhibition for the fair. It was a working honey manufacturer… with little organized living beings buzzing away working, each knowing their job and none whining for a promotion.
Jackie and I talked about known honey cures… the royal jelly, or the honey near the queen has certain uncanny healing properties… the honey cone has certain benefits too. Unfortunately, when I was told the benefits it went in one ear and out the other.
Jackie said when his father was dying of cancer he told him he expressed a supporting belief that the answer of curing cancer just may be in honey. It just may be.

5 comments:

G said...

Interesting! Makes you wonder if the male bees are aware that a brief romp with the Queen means death. Bees are supposed to be smart. I guess some are suicidal.
And after the Queen's reign is over, doesn't she go thru a torturous death before a new Queen is chosen?

Eddie, after you ran that honey-cure thing, I made a power-drink with honey, and I've been drinking it every morning -- it's delicious!

8 oz vanilla "silk" milk
1 banana
1 tablespoon of honey
1 fresh peach or 2 canned halves
scant handful of walnuts

Blend it up, and Voila!

Eddie said...

Geri,
Sounds good!
I was reading your recipe to my wife on the phone and at the end I said "Viola!"
She said, "Viola?"
I said, yep, that's what it says.
She said it is "Wal-lah!"

Oh well, it is hard to get the redneck out a redneck.

G said...

Wal-lah sounds better :)

Don't add the walnuts. I think it's better without, and be sure to use Vanilla Silk milk.

When you blend it all up, it turns into a thick banana milkshake. Let me know what you think.

I might start mixing it in my basement ~~~~~~~~~~

G said...

... if Tom will dig one for me.

Anna said...

Geri,
We use Vanilla Silk and frozen bananas for smoothies all the time. I'll try the honey and maybe a little cinnamon next time. How about adding a little "whey" for a protein shot?
Mrs. Eddie