Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It is a Small World


.It is a Small World

Never turn up your nose at someone. They may be closer to you than you think.

I am constantly being amazed just what a small world we live in. A old school chum of mine, Brad Martin, is a journalist. In his career he has interviewed the 14th Dalai Lama. That means, if your lean sideways to get a better perspective, I am only one degree away from his Holiness.

And as the above picture plainly shows, I was only 0◦ from “Frog”.

I have other claims to fame, too numerous to mention. Now, the ambitious person that I am, I asked, how can I make a buck off my claims to fame? I can’t. Looking around I see that just about every person is about 1 to 4 degrees away from greatness. How can I get rich over other people’s greatness if everybody has the same degrees? As a matter of fact, I read that many people believe that all people on this planet are the most 4◦ apart or 4 “deep as some people say.

Just yesterday at the GOBAG meeting Charlie told me a schoolmate of ours, years ago, married Senator Strom Thurmond’s daughter. So, everybody at Marietta High School in the late 50s is 2 ◦ from Strom Thurmond.

Being just a couple degrees from somebody famous is nice conversation for I think it means more when the degrees are friends related.

Also at the GOBAG meeting yesterday Paul told me he worked with a guy a named Gene. Gene and I spend our adolescent years near each other. We were chased away from stealing watermelons from a neighbor’s garden with a shotgun blast… Gene, I, and about four others spent about 4 or 5 years chasing each other on our bikes, climbing trees, and just being typical boys with dogs. Gene in that time period of my life meant a lot to me.

Paul also told me until recently Gene operated a little side of the road business selling produce on Canton Road near Jamerson Road. I drove by that stand many times and more than once was tempted to pull over and buy tomatoes or something but just never did.

I wonder if I had stopped would I have recognized Gene? Who knows? It is a Small world!

I was also told at a GOBAG meeting about someone I had recently broke bread and drunk a beer with once had a contract out for my cousin. It is a Small world!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A CLAIM TO FAME LIKE THAT. LEWIS YOUNG'S SON, HANK, BUILDS MOTORCYCLES FOR A LIVING.2 YEARS AGO HE WAS GOING TO HAVE ONE OF HIS BIKES ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL IN A SHOW CALLED BIKER BUILD-OFF. WEEELL, MARVIN WAS ASKED TO BUILD A SEAT FROM PECAN WOOD. THE WOOD CAME FROM HIS DAD'S OLD HOMEPLACE NEAR BALLGROUND. SO MARVIN MADE THE SEAT, AND I WAS COMING BACK FROM TENNESSEE AND TALKIMNG TO MARVIN ON THE PHONE.HE TOLD ME HE WAS TAKING THE SEAT TO HAVE A MAN CANE THE BOTTOM. FROM THAT DAY ON, I FIGURED I WAS A PART OF GETTING HANK'S BIKE SEAT MADE ;CAUSE I WAS TALKING TO MARVIN. AND"WE" WENT ON TO WIN THE CONTEST. ALSO' I HAVE AN UNCLE IN PAHRUMPH, NEVADA.
PR

Eddie said...

And I saw that show on the History Channel (actually, I forgot what channel), so it is indeed a small world!

Anonymous said...

IS THAT LARRY GARRETT BEHIND YOU? WITH THE COWBOY HAT ON.
PR

G said...

I can top that. May claims to fame are only "one" degree separations. I think that means I'm qualified to give autographs. Anyhow, I wish there was enough time to tell you some funny stories.

Eddie said...

PR,
It looks like Larry, but I am a year or two older than Larry, I doubt if he would be that much taller than me back then.

G said...

please don't beg

Eddie said...

G,
I was hoping you would spill it all without me begging... I don't beg well, that is why we don't have much.

Anonymous said...

I've got a picture with Smiley Burnett also, taken in front of the Strand Theater.

Mike D

Eddie said...

Mike D,
It was probably the same day. Are you in your middle to late 60s? Do we know each other?