Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dining In Woodstock, Georgia


On the spur of the moment we decided to dine in Woodstock, Georgia. We were close by anyway and the rain was pouring down.

I remember back in the late 50s the only restaurant that I knew in Woodstock was the Dixie Inn, located near the corner of Canton Highway and Hwy 92. One time about 1959 I choked on a red snapper bone at the Dixie Inn and collapsed to the floor trying to breath. As you may know, I lived.

That was before the Heimlich maneuver. I don’t know what I did but suddenly I was breathing again. The bone must have taken on a life of its own and wiggled itself out.

Now, Woodstock has many restaurants to choose from. Just outside of town near where the Dixie Inn used to be is Bub-a-Q’s BBQ and across the street from where the Dixie Inn is Happy China Restaurant. Up in the center of town by the railroad tracks there are: Canyon Hamburgers that serve sweet potato french fries, it reminded me of Johnny Rockets; Pure Authentic Mexican Restaurant; a fine dining establishment in an old Victorian house that was named with the year it was made, like the 1848 house in Marietta, but this house was much later, something like the 1905 House, but now it is named something else; a place apparently just named HOT DOGS; and the Right Wing Tavern, which is in the old train Depot.

Until last night we have been to all but the Pure Authentic Mexican Restaurant and the Right Wing Tavern. Tonight we went to the Pure Restaurant.

The only authentic Mexican thing in Pure Authentic Mexican Restaurant is the bus boy. All other people are just fun loving yuppies that I think like loud music.

The food was good. As a gimmick the menu was done in Spanish. You had to study each item listed to see if you could find the word “taco” or “burrito” buried in description someplace. And of course, the word “polo” was used a lot when telling about their different chicken dishes….. so, I think the menu might be authentic too!

The salsa for the chips was good and spicy and the food was delivered quicker than we expected it. The food was hot and good. The pork was very tender and juicy.

When I went to the restroom I noticed a PURE sign. I said the name of the restaurant was PURE didn’t I? The PURE sign looked very much like the PURE gas station signs years ago. Later we looked PURE Authentic Mexican Restaurants up on google and discovered there are several Pure Authentic Mexican Restuarants all around Metro Atlanta. And they all look like Pure Service Stations. Then it dawned on us…the one we dined at looked like PURE Service Stations with open bays to dine in. I don’t know what that has to do with Mexican – but..

What do you want, a hat dance?

4 comments:

kenju said...

Eddie, you're funny.

I've enjoyed your yearbook series too, even though I don't know anyone there.

Eddie said...

Judy,
Thank you.... I think. Do you 'funny' as in 'strange'? or funny as in "Look at that fool!"

You know me. I'm in there someplace. Well, actually in the 1955 Olympian my one and only mug shot for the year hasn't came up yet.

G said...

Kenju is right, you are funny ... very DRY, but definitely funny ... for instance, look at this:

" ... collapsed to the floor trying to breath. As you may know, I lived."

and,

"...The bone must have taken on a life of its own and wiggled itself out."

*chuckles*

Eddie said...

Geri,
Very dry! Just like a dry martini. Shaken and not stirred.