Saturday, October 03, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow


Chris Rock has been hitting the TV interview circuit plugging his movie GOOD HAIR.

He noticed that his daughters were spending much time and money on their hair. He begin to look at the hair business more and found black women are the biggest market of hair products. Black women, head-count percentage wise, make up about 20% of the hair market, but spending-wise, they make up about 70% percent of the market.

Chris found that many are buying human hair wigs. The best selling human hair is long black hair, found typically in Indian and Asian countries. They are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a good mane of hair.

In India many churches, temples, or what other religious institutions they have in India have been pushing for the female part of the congregation to do what is right and donate their hair to the church, who, in turn sell it to whomever is willing to pay the highest price. It appears the church staff benefits materially for these females charitable generosity. But the families that donated their daughters' hair remain poor.

Chris was appalled that black women would go to so much trouble to look like white women.

I agree! Chris Rock said, in so many words, “Be yourself! Do your hair so you will like it! If you feel good about yourself everything else will work itself out.”

On the other hand, I heard somebody else say if you see an opportunity seize it!

I am emotional moved by that advice. I would like to help the poor Asians and Indians in some way will live on and keep giving.

I know! I think I will give them free haircuts!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LIKE MY OLE PAPPY USED TO SAY "HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMMORROW"
YUK!
PR

Anonymous said...

ANYONE AT THE KEYBOARD?
PIERRE

Anonymous said...

SORRY ROCK,
I DID NOT NOTICE YOUR HEADLINE, HAIR TODAY , GONE TOMMORROW. PLAGIARISM AT IT'S FINEST.
PR

Eddie said...

PR,
Since you did not notice that was the title, you can not be accused of plagiarism. And you did give your Old Pappy credit, so again, that throws out the plagiarism possibility.

However, since it is a common phrase that I picked up someplace, I don't remember where, I suppose I am the plagiarist.

Anonymous said...

IN THE 9TH GRADE I WAS SUPPOSED TO GO ON A 2 WEEK TRIP WITH MY DAD TO MIAMI.A WEEK BEFORE, I DYED MY HAIR BLACK(I ALREADY HAD A NATURAL MARCHAND'S GOLDEN HAIRWASH, SO I WANTED TO BE DIFFERENT, I GUESS) FATHER SAID I COULD NOT GO ON THE TRIP UNLESS I GOT RID OF THE EBONY LOOK.SO I TRIED PEROXIDE AND MY HAIR TURNED VARIOUS SHADES OF PURPLE. CANCEL THAT TRIP.THIS IS TOO MUCH INFORMATION FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC. I QUIT.
PR

Anonymous said...

ALSO, BROTHER B-O-B AND I TRIED TO STRAIGHTEN OUR HAIR ONE SUMMER WITH POSNER'S HAIR STRAIGHTENER.IT WAS PURCHASED IN THE COLORED SECTION OF HAIR PRODUCTS. GOT TOO MUCH ON B-O-B AND BURNED A HOLE IN HIS HEAD.THEN IN THE 70'S WHEN BIG HAIR WAS FASHIONABLE, B-O-B LET HIS GROW INTO A NATURAL AFRO.HE ALWAYS BRAGGED,"PEOPLE PAY GOOD MONEY FOR THIS KIND OF HAIR, AND I GET IT FREE." WAY TOO MUCH INFO.
PR

kenju said...

Yu're SO generous, Eddie!! I wonder if they'll pay for long gray hair? I'll grow mine out for that!

Eddie said...

Judy,
I wonder how much a short patch of gray hair shaped like a horseshoe would bring?

Anonymous said...

IT WILL BRING YOU GOOD LUCK AND THE PRICE IS HAIRLESS. AS POPEYE WOULD HAR HAR HAR. REMEMBER LB
PR