Friday, October 30, 2009

Back to North Georgia



(taken several years ago - click any picture to make overwhelming larger)


We went to north Georgia again yesterday. We went to visit Brenda and Peter, friends of ours. Brenda and Anna worked together. They are very gracious hosts.

About eight or nine years ago, after Brenda retired, she and Peter bought land near Cleveland and built their dream home, above. The picture above was taken about four years ago. I thought I took a new picture of the house yesterday but there is no image. It is hard keeping a running inventory in my mind of what what images I just captured. I pulled the above out of my collection of several years ago.

Here are some outside details that I did take yesterday. As you can see they work very hard adding new things. They are very energetic.






They rely on spring water and rain water. Here is one of the barrels they keep rainwater in. They have two. They pressure washed their driveway with captured rainwater not long ago.



We rode all around the local area looking at the beautiful fall foliage.

We dropped by the Sautee Store which we usually do when we are near. In December of 1967 we stopped here on our way to our honeymoon cabin at Unicoi State Park. The lady then, gave us a copper candelabra and a cheese knife as a wedding present. I haven’t noticed this before. See the old sign that advertises The Music Store in Marietta? That’s real!

(picture taken several years ago)





We rode by the land and house that used to belong to Moses Harshaw’s. Moses is a distant relative-in-law who was considered at the time “The meanest man in Georgia” because when a slave that too old or sickly to be productive he simply ended their life. Now the house is the Stovall House Bed & Breakfast and they do wedding & receptions receptions too.

(picture taken several years ago)

Here is a mill on a river near Clarksville.






Inside the mill deep below the gift shop is the big thing that the water turns. The point where you look at it is in a dark area. The flash lit up the dark room you can see the heavy scale on the floor. In the darkness you can’t see it. Being in the darkness I tripped over it. Brenda grabbed me before I crashed. If I had tripped over it just right and Brenda wasn't there I could have crashed through the metal railing there and fall into the milling works. Then I would be grounded up, packaged and come put into a sack named Corn Meal, and then if they wanted to do it right, they would cross out Corn and put “Eddie Meal” .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW HABSELL PASSED AWAY A FEW YEARS BACK, BUT DID YOU SEE GRETEL?
PR

Anonymous said...

HANSEL NOT HABSELL!
PR

Anonymous said...

I,D LOVE TO HAVE THAT MUSIC SIGN AND THE BLACK DRAUGHT SIGN ALSO.NICE PHOTOGRAPHY WORK AS USUAL.
PR

Eddie said...

Thanks!
The buildings has maybe as many as 10 or 12 advertising tin-signs nailed to it, I should have photographed some more, but at the moment that wasn't what I was just after the one that had something I knew about.

kenju said...

Enjoyed the photos, Eddie, especially the water shots. A lovely place!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Thank you. I forgot to mention that the two river pictures were taken from the same spot. Up the river and it was white water and pivot around and down the river was calm looking waters.