Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Paying Respects

A friend of ours died this Monday. He was the husband of Anna’s retired coworker-friend. We usually saw them in dinner/party surroundings a couple times a year. I always thought he was a warm, sincere, and easy going person… and good looking and healthy looking. I think thick stock of stark white hair looks good on a man or woman.

He had a massive stroke last week. I don’t think he ever gained consciousness. He was 68.

We went to Carmichael Funeral Home in Smyrna tonight to pay our respects. I’m sure he will be missed, but the family was very positive and are not wallowing in their own misery of their lost. I noticed the wife had a couple of emotional moments but her 6 ‘ 5 “ (more or less) son was by her side giving her aid and comfort. Good.

We saw several other friends paying their respects also. We got in a group with them and talked. One elderly lady in the group, that we have known at least ten years or so at the dame dinner-parties as the others there, shook my hand and gracefully said, "It is nice to meet you."

I snapped back "It is nice meeting you too!" Usually when I realize I have been overlooked or ignored I get irritated.

Then she turned to Ann, held out her hand and said, "Haven't we met before? - I seem to recognize you from somewhere..."

I realized she was losing her grip on her memory. I rushed to judgment. I felt rotten.

2 comments:

Deborah Wilson said...

Eddie,

Give Anna condolences on the lost of her friend. It's sad to loose them.

Eddie said...

Deborah,
Will do.