Saturday, March 18, 2006

Those Hueys Don't Play





One of the markers above is of Thomas Jeff Huey. Thomas killed his brother Ed.

In their father’s old age Ed took care of their father. And in return, their father left everything to Ed. Which made Thomas mad. Then one day they were arguing over some cedar wood and in anger Thomas shot Ed on his (Ed’s) front steps in front of his children.

I have yet identified Ed’s grave but I think it could possibly be the one identified as Dozier E. Huey. I cannot match Dozier up to any body else, and the initial E. and also the time is about right.
Counter-Point: Dozier E. was apparently in WWII, and died just a couple of days after D-Day. Did he die from wounds in the War or at the end of Thomas's gun?

Thomas went to prison, served his sentence and got out.

This is in the Bascomb Methodist Cemetery, Woodstock, Ga. Also buried here in an unmarked grave is Ed & Thomas’s uncle Monroe Huey.

According to the family bible Monroe, when Monroe was a youngster he was beaten to death by the “Brawley Boys” . Based on the 1870 census, The Brougley family lived in the next household from the Huey’s.

Also, another Huey grave marker that looks interesting, of Joyce Huey. I have no idea what her relationship is.

4 comments:

cbish68 said...

Dozier E. Huey is included on the U.S. Roster of WWII dead, so I don't think he is your Ed Huey who died at the hands of his brother. I need to do some digging to find out where he fits into my wife's HUEY line. He does not pop up in anyone's shared family tree on ancestry.com either. It would be nice to find his full obituary in the Marietta or Atlanta newspaper.

cbish68 said...

Dozier E. Huey is included on the U.S. Roster of WWII dead, so I don't think he is your Ed Huey who died at the hands of his brother. I need to do some digging to find out where he fits into my wife's HUEY line. He does not pop up in anyone's shared family tree on ancestry.com either. It would be nice to find his full obituary in the Marietta or Atlanta newspaper.

cbish68 said...

Dozier E. Huey shows up in the U.S. Roster of WWII dead, so I don't think he is your Ed Huey who died at the hands of his brother. Unfortunately, there is nothing else on the wwii roster that says where he died, etc. Only his service number 34352742. I have not been able to find him in any shared family trees on ancestry.com either. I need to find out how he fits into my wife's HUEY line. It would be nice to find a full obituary in the Marietta or Atlanta newspaper from 1944.

Eddie said...

Chris,

Evidently I lost your email address, like I did many others when I changed computers. Send me an email when you get a chance so I can link on to it to get your email address.
We are bogged down with bathroom remodeling now. As soon as I get a chance, I'll look over what I have.