Friday, March 24, 2006

The Good Old Days


This is the side view of the now closed Strand Theater in Marietta. It is run down because the lack of interest. There is a group "Save the Strand" who is trying to get it restored back to the way it used to be.

Around front was a huge glittering with light bulbs awning holding a giant marquee. A beautiful handcarved ticket booth. Several big glass displays of posters of coming events. All the movie glamor you could ask for.

However, that was for the whites only. This picture is the "Colored Entrance". No weathering protection awning, no glamorous posters. They had to sit in the very back of the balcony, far from the screen. And be thankful that movie house accepted them, the other two didn't. Separate but equal?

I wonder if when they restore everything like it used to be, I wonder if that will include the "Colored Entrance".

When someone says he/she wishes things would go back to the way they were, you can bet that person never walked through the above doors.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I have admitted many times that I am biased against white Southerners, who I am (falsely) convinced all want to return to the days of yore. It is people like you who make me eat crow. Thanks for the insight that you share that leads me to constantly challenge my misconceptions.

Eddie said...

Welcome back from your cruise.