Saturday, March 25, 2006

Mexican Labor Boycott in Georgia

This past week the Georgia Legislation passed a new law limiting illegal immigrants welfare assistance. I think the argument is that the illegal immigrants are not putting money into the welfare system, so they shouldn’t be able to take any out, like for health assistance and so on. I am not sure how much the Federal government pays and how much the state would pay.

To show their displeasure with the law the Mexicans-Americans did a form of protest. They had a work-boycott Friday. Many did not show up for work just to show how much they will be missed. I haven’t heard just how many took part.

Friday morning we stopped on our way between places at a McDonald’s, to have a McGriddle breakfast sandwich. We like to go in and read the discarded newspaper and eat. A sign on each door DRIVE THROUGH SERVICE ONLY. And then I remembered it was the day for Mexicans to boycott their work.

OK, they made their point.

That evening it was on the news how well their boycott went over. Many restaurants, mostly Mexican, were not opened. Other businesses, such as landscaping, there were no business done. And I bet their lack of labor was felt all over.

I’m glad they did boycott. It gave them an idea how strong their solidarity is.

But again, I think the laws should be directed at the ones that hires the illegal immigrants. They are the ones that gain the most. The company owners and managers can keep their operating costs down, which I’m sure just gives them wider profit margin. I doubt if they pass the savings on to the consumer.

It is the Mexicans with the strong work ethnic that are willing to work at low paying jobs and should be admired be respected for it. It is the businessman who keeps them on low paying jobs and probably discourages them seeking legal status where part of their pay would go back into the system to service them… now the business man gets away with not paying his share of unemployment taxes and other benefits.

I will get off my soapbox before I am pelted with a rotten tomato.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. If all the people were willing to get out and protest and show they care we wouldn't have all these problems. Yet, the only thing we hear is negative stuff about these Mexicans, who are only trying to make a better life for themselves.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Thank you.
And you are right, I really admire their work ethic and although I admire them for sending money back to their familes, I think the draining of U.S. cash is hurting our economy - but that is only a drop in the bucket of the damaging our economy department.

gerbil said...

Don't get me wrong not every immigrant across the world is an angel but it often gets me that despite the fact that every 'developed' economy draws people in from more deprived areas to do the jobs that often the those already there don't want to do at the prices paid. These people get there often going through hell and then work for close to nothing in order so that there children (not them, there children) may have the chance of having the same aspirations and dreams as us. While it works the boss is happier becuase profits are up, the consumers are happy becuase prices are low. Then it all goes wrong and we blame the immigrants as either workshy, only coming in to our economies for the benifits or as just a simple threat.

There are always going to be complicated emotional, politcial and economic issues related to immigration but if we stuck to one simple thing, "a fair days pay for a fair days work", so much more would make sense in this world.

gerbil said...

sorry, rant over.

ET, glad to see people standing up for themselves and others.

Eddie said...

Gerbil,
I respect any person, male or female, with balls. I may sometimes disagree with them, but if they are willing to go against the grain, then, good for them.
With exceptions, of course.
How wishy-washy is that?

Suzanne said...

I absolutely agree that the only way to solve the problem of illegal immigration is to crack down on the employers! Employers benefit so much from cheap labor, and everyone else loses out. I'm glad that the protest went off so well. That's very cool.