Saturday, June 09, 2007

Vanishing Georgia


The above is a picture of my uncles Dick and Stanley Hunter when they were very young. They are both dead now.

The picture came from the Vanishing Georgia Project that was started in the late 1970s and took a few years to complete, but I doubt if it ever really be complete.

I donated the above picture and some other old pictures to it and so did my mother-in-law. Donated is really not the right word. I lent them some pictures – how’s that? We carried our pictures down to downtown Marietta to the Vanishing Georgia local office at the time. We told the historian (Bowling Yates) as much as we knew about each and the staff copied the pictures, gave us our pictures back.

I didn’t know they had a web sitenow of all their collections. A friend sent me some pictures of old Marietta he found on the Vanishing GeorgiaSite. I went to the site and found the pictures I donated, er-I meant lent them.

If you enjoy looking at old pictures you might enjoy going to this website and in the blank fill in a surname you are interested in, or maybe even a town or county in Georgia you are interested in. Marietta has 488 pictures.

If you see a picture you would like to know more about click on it and whatever information on the picture materializes. Click again and it will enlarge itself to a suitable picture for viewing.

No comments: