Wednesday, June 13, 2007

James A. Polk England (1862-1916)


Here is another picture I found on the Vanishing Georgia Website. It is Polk England, his wife Mary Louise Atkins and their children.

Polk was born in Union County, Georgia, and was the son of Daniel and Harriet Hunter England. Harriet was the daughter of my g-g-g-grandfather John Hunter.

This picture was taken in Hall (Gainesville), Georgia.

They had eight kids, which included 3 sets of twins. One of the children, the first set of twins, died before the child was a year old, which was before this picture was taken.

After they lived in Hall County they moved to Galvin County, Oklahoma, where they spent the rest of their lives.

There is something about Polk that reminds me of "Crab Man" on the sitcom MY NAME IS EARL.

6 comments:

kenju said...

Crab man is right! He's very skinny like that. They certainly were prolific, weren't they? The children are adorable. I love old photos!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Me too!
Not speaking of being that prolific, but loving old photos.

lvnlife said...

I saw this photo about a year ago on Vanishing Georgia. Polk was my 2nd great grand-uncle, and one of my uncles looks very much like him! Sometimes I wonder if he has Hunter or England traits....

Anonymous said...

Actually, the three sets of twins are pictured. Starting back row left is the oldest is Daniel Wafford (single birth). Then Claud (my great grandfather) and his twin Maud. The two twin boys in the middle are Jewel and Gene (not sure which is which). And the infants are Roy and Rott (again not quite sure which is which without asking my grandmother). The family relocated to Garvin County, Oklahoma around Lindsay.

Eddie said...

Kandace,
Thank you for that information. Now, I can label them more accurately.

And it is always nice to run into another cousin.

Eddie said...

Ivnlife,
And thank you too. I wasn't aware that your comment was there. I will have to give my computer a talking to for not notifying me when yours were made.

Another cousin. Good!