Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Unfair Pay To Retirees!


A friend that I grew up with, now retired in Florida, is sick today. He had minor surgery yesterday and is recuperating today.

Here is the problem with us retirees when we are sick: We can not call in for sick leave. If we are sick, we still have to do what we do every day anyway, whether we are sick or not.

Is that fair?

Another thing, we are also retired on Federal Holidays. We get the same rate of pay. Think about it. Normally, if a person, who is considered “regular” works on his or her holiday he or she gets an extra day’s pay. Retirees don’t. We have to do on holidays what we normally do, for no extra pay.

I would say we would strike and lie down in our work place – or in this case, non-work place, but we do that anyway.

Maybe we should boycott whoever sends those checks out and refuse to accept any more until they agree to pay extra for doing nothing on top of nothing on holidays and sick days - but on second thought lets don’t do anything foolish and irrational.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you retired, you have to go in to work when you are sick.Its the opposite effect.

Eddie said...

Steve,
I see. What you said makes sense. And also it inspires me to be a person dedicated doing what I am paid to to do: nothing.

Suzanne said...

I adore your cleverness and take on the world. It just keeps me coming back to see what else you have to say about the world.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to see you in GA. Who put Marietta on the western side of the state, anyway?!?!

Eddie said...

Susanne,
The part is that the World has also taken on me and it is winning!