Monday, June 11, 2007

The Supranos' Swan Dive


At the last couple of minutes of the last episode of The Sopranos we all just knew Tony was going to get it. But how? was the question.

Would one of Phil’s men pop him? No, Phil became the poppee so that dissolved his power (and head) on the spot. But things were still building up.

The family was acting like a happy functional family in a family-budget type of restaurant. A.J. said quoted something Tony said about you are suppose to concentrate on the good times. Nondescript men begin to materialize. “This is it!” I thought.

Then, everything went black.

It appeared that the last 5 seconds or so of the show was clipped out. Was it really?

“Then everything went black” is a better explanation than “then I woke up.” You can create our own ending.

Did this show the Soprano family enjoying each other and possibly a happy ending or did they all get killed? Which, of course, could leave the Sopranos available to be in another spin-off.

I really enjoyed watching the Sopranos over the years and hate to see them go, even if they were cold blooded murderers.

I liked to watch things on the show that developed and things implied without actually coming out and saying. For instance: On the last meeting with the FBI agent the agent seemed snappy and irritable with Tony. And he also had a few hateful words with his wife on the phone. Something was wrong. Later, we find out he was having an affair with a female FBI agent – which would tighten tension with his home life and elsewhere.

The Office is another program that implies things that is sort of fun to catch it and watch the development.

Getting back to The Sopranos, I would not be surprised if the last 5 or 10 clipped ending with nothing happening was also a big surprised for every one that was involved, except the person that did the clipping.

Now, it would be interesting to get the DVD and watch it from the beginning and now you know what the different characters’ fates are and all.

Good series!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, people have been complaining about it all day, but you know i have never seen one of those.

Eddie said...

Steve,
You need to see a few that run concurrently.
Go to Blockbuster

kenju said...

We had not watched the first year of it because we didn't have HBO then. We went to Hawaii with our daughter and she made us watch it there, and when we came back home, we ordered HBO so we would never miss another one! Then we started renting the DVD's of the first year, to get caught up. I will really miss it; even the music made my heart beat faster!

Eddie said...

Judy,
I was typing a comment to your comment and the text suddenly disappeared.
Ahem! What I was trying to say is that I loved the Sopranos. One minute they were so every-day like people and the next being ruthless murderers.
I remember one episode Paly (?) was suppose to "bump" somebody off, but he couldn't do it when he was suppose to because that day he his mother had an appointment with the Social Security office and he had to take her.

Pappy said...

I watched the Sopranos ending last Sunday night and I was angry about it. But since then as I've thought about it--and I've watched a video tape of it a couple of times--I think it's one of the best edited little 3 or 4 minute pieces of film ever. My heart was pounding out of my chest with anticipation of what was going to happen and then it went black! It was a classic "gotcha." They got me, they got all of us!

Eddie said...

Pappy,
You could always expect the unexpected watching the Sopranos. And what more unexpected is Nothing. It is like the Seinfield "show aobut nothing.