Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Youth Is Wasted On the Young

A clever worded quote a friend emailed me yesterday:

“Youth is wasted on the young”.

I disagree.

I think youth is right where it should be, with the young. When you gain age and experience you learn things for self-preservation. You take your medicine and you don’t skid your body on pavement with shorts on. It might hurt you, you learned the hard way.

But that is partly the fun of youth - not using your common sense and taking a few chances. And most the time the fun outweighs the pain.

It comes down to we, the aged, are afraid we might get hurt…. What fun is youth with that attitude?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Once on Hollywood Squares, Paul Lynd was asked, "What is wasted on the young?" and his answer:
"WHIPPINGS!"
He was a freak.
I agree with you on this. Nice post.

Eddie said...

Bird,
Paul Lynd?
I used to be amazed how quick his wit was on Hollywood Squares, making those instant quips. Then I read that the celebraties were furnished the questions in advance.
The rascal had some time to think up something good.