Sunday, May 28, 2006

Sunday coming down

Yesterday evening we went out to eat Mexican food at a restaurant we haven't been to before. A coupon of buy one meal and get the second of equal value or less free. We are drawn like flies to a dead squirrel in the road to buy one and get one free.

It is a big restaurant. A lot of square feet. With many empty tables. There was another WASP family sitting next to us, and across the way was a family of ten celebrating a daughter's graduation. She had her cap and gown and was posing for family members with cameras, it looked like the reflections of a lightling storm in that corner. I think they were Spanish. In another corner was another big family of Mexicans with wandering kids near the table.


What am I trying to say? I think, maybe, if you want good authentic Mexican food go to where the Mexicans eat?

Maybe the above, and also, maybe, WASPs feel uncomfortable eating authentic Mexican food where real Mexicans eat. That may or may not be the case why the restaurant was almost empty.

I just can't figure out why a big Mexican restaurant was almost empty at the dinner hour when others are over flowing with people.

Just wondering, move along folks, nothing to see.

Then we went to Home Depot and bought some paint and brushes. Again, drawn by a special offer. Home Depot offered this weekend a special to Military personnel, 10% discount. Anna works for the DoD.

Today, on this Sunday, this day that most Christian religions set aside for a day of reat, we will be painting doors.

But I'm not complainig - I don't work on days that any religion has assigned as work days either.

13 comments:

Carolyn said...

That is odd about the restaurant. We have a Mexican one here ran by Mexicans that is really good and stays pretty full-- and there's an Applebees within walking distance, but they don't seem to have an impact on the Mexican restaurant's business.

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
As far as I know all Mexican restaurants near here are owned and operated by Mexicans. But very few, like this one, have Mexicans as customers.

kenju said...

We have a great Mexican Restaurant run by Latinos. It is called Los Tres Magueyes (the three cacti). It is always full, no matter when we go, and it is usually half Anglos and half Latinos. Their coupons are buy one/get one half-price.

Anonymous said...

The Mexican places here thrive and the stores have Mexican sections as well. I estimate the town I live in is close to 40% Mexican though most are illegal. My Mexican kids tell me the restaurants are not authentic here, but we don’t care. We like the one we go to occasionally.

Eddie said...

Break for paintings - Union rules.
Around most of the Mexican restaurants put out coupons, and with only exception, they are not good on Friday nights.

Neoma said...

Hi Ed, we also went to HOme Depot today to buy sheetrock, which by the way is still sitting on top of my van, and the rain clouds are supposed to come in this evening. But I digress, how do you get your military discount. My husband is 65, hasn't seen his military card in probably 30 years, and they would not take our word for the fact that he served in the military for 12 years. Would people lie about this to get a discount, well I suppose so, but we wouldn't. Anyway, I was a bit miffed because they wanted proof......and we didn't have any. How does one prove they were in the military some 40 odd years after the fact? I can't even find my SS card......oh well 10 percent shouldn't put me into a tail spin.

by the way, we have been looking for some good mexican food. and we have no problem eating where the mexican's eat. Having come from California we ate great mexican food on a regular basis, and have yet to find anyplace that has GOOD mexican food. And we have tried about six different places. We will drive to find good mexican food.

Eddie said...

Nea,
I thought you must have got lost in the cave we were taking about.
Sheetrock? That sounds like a pretty big project. We got our military discount at Home Depot because Anna is an officer in the military. True. She is a contracting officer for the Department of Defense.
There are a bunch of Mexican restaurants in your neighborhood, in our woods, Los Reys seems to be the most popular, they have 3 or 4 around town, it is ran by Mexicans and Mexicans eat there a lot.
I just can't fiugre out why WASPs didn't crowd the one we were at last night.
Also, there is a good Cajun place near you that plays great Cajun Blues. It is on the Main street of Acworth, the name of it is Henry's of New Orleans.

Neoma said...

would you be surprised to know, that I have been to that restaurant in Ackworth.

Oh by the way, I went to the website, and looked at the caves, of course I want to go see them. And of course they won't let you. haha

Eddie said...

Yeah, I saw that.
It didn't exactly say it was forbidden. It was a little weaker than that.
I think if you called or visited and showed a just cause, like you are really a devolted geologist or something, you might get permission.
One time I surpised myself by gaining admittance to somethig that was forbidden, just by telling how interested I was in the subject.

gerbil said...

You would have to worry about the sanity of some one who loves the food of an ethnic/cultural group but wouldnt eat there if the said ethnic/cultural group also eat there.

We used to have the same issue with 'indian' food in this country. Now Chicken Tika Masala has become the most popular meal in England.

Eddie said...

Gerber,
Great pictures on your site!
I still don't see what all the hoo-hah is about Thai food. What they claimed was hot or spicy barely was not.

Anonymous said...

The Indain gusy I hung out with in college always told me American food was bland.

Eddie said...

Steve,
I think the person that built up what I ordered had my mouth watering with thinking I was going to get a really hot spicy dish, the kind that makes your eyes turn red, nasal passages dribble, and the your taste buds in a tail spin. It was good, in fact, very good, I was just expecting to have an orgasm or something.