Friday, May 26, 2006

Friday

This is a first day of a ten day spree of Anna being off work. She has a long list of things we need to do. I don't think we can possibly get it all done.

But we will see, I could be wrong.

Today we need to go to one of her doctor's office and I forgot all the details in between, but by 6:30 tonight we should be setting up our folding chairs at a free concert in downtown Marietta. The Jesters is the name of the band and variety is listed to what they play.

Yesterday, while finishing the details in pressuring washing the house the bottom of my pressure washer fell off. The shaft part that turns to give the water pressure just fell off. It was the second time I used it since my neighbor fixed it. He went around to a variety of small engine grave yards and found all the parts he needed, except one, which he hand-made.

Now he or any other mechanic can back stroke to figure out what he did and what parts he put where.

I will probably have to buy a new pressure washer for about $400, where if I took it to a repair shop who knew what they were doing I could probably pay about $50 and it would run. Now, I am hiding the whole thing from my neighbor, before he sees it broken.

A few years ago he wanted to adjust the idle on my Snapper riding lawnmower and before it was over, the only way to start it was to hot wire it by using the metal part of a screw driver to touch two points, one on the battery and a nut holding a wire.... I melted two screw drivers and finally said this is too much, so I gave my neighbor the lawnmower and I bought a new lawnmower - NEW! My neighbor had no excuse to do anything any adjustments or repairs to it...... yet.

Enjoy your Friday.

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Eddie, maybe if you told him how much this is costing you and ask him to chip in on the new one, he'll back off. Money talks, and also scares some people too ;D

kenju said...

Yeah, do that.

Unknown said...

reminds me of my brother in law..swore he could replace the doorknob on my car...which he did. it's hanging on by a thread..it works but i don't even want to tell you what kind of creative engineering he did!

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
Judy,
Bird,
Thanks for the insight and advice.
I'm tired. We have been on the go all day spending money. That always exhausts me.

Suzanne said...

When he was in college, my husband's roommate fixed his computer. The only problem was that the case would not fit over whatever newfangled hardware he added, so he duct taped part of it and then used a hammer to bang something else in place. Miraculously, the thing worked. Sorry to hear about your lawn mower and pressure washer, though.

Eddie said...

Suzane,
I have surpised myself by ramming something togetehr also and it worked. And I think maybe my neighbor Jim has also, and that may be why he is over confident in his abilities.
And I loved your travel picturial of your Europe trip.

Neoma said...

This is the HELPFUL neighbor, right? haha

Eddie said...

Nea,
Right, our self-proclaimed Mr. Fixit of the neighborhood.
Today while painting the door we decided it would be easier if we opened the glass door and use that little thing on the hydraulic thing to brace it so it wouldn't shut. I kept working with it to get it right, and Jim stood on the edge of his driveway, watching every move, ready to spring in action, when I showed signs of having a problem with it.
Luckily, I had none, or might have invented a contraction to make it do things it never did before.

Neoma said...

You guys are his life........ :):)

I feel for you, I don't really like help unless I ask, he and I would butt heads big time. I actually have a neighbor like that too, now that I think of it. I take my little lady neighbor shopping.....when she picks up something, she gets one for me also, saying, "oh you need to get some of this," and she puts it into my cart. She has actually TAKEN things OUT of my car and exchanged things that she thinks are better, when my back is turned. I have to watch her like a hawk, and then I have to sneak things back when she isn't looking. Which is hard, because she is always looking. I have actually bought things I DO NOT want and will NOT use, just to keep from hurting her feelings. So I know how it is......they mean well......

Neoma said...

I forgot, they aren't a cart here, they are a buggie.....haha

Eddie said...

You are right!
They are buggies! I never thought about that.
Jim and I butted heads one time. He told I had a limb ready to fall, and it was hanging over fence, which would probably bend the fence if it fell. He said he would cut it for me. I told him to wait until I was there to hold the ladder for him (he is in his middle 80s). When I got back from where I had gone I saw the limb was down. I do not like the idea of him on my property dealing with a chain-saw at 85 or years old. And I told him and more or less chewed him out.
He looke hurt.
Then I felt bad.
I can't win.