Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Wednesday

Jacksonville, Fla. Remember not long ago I had an entry about our trip to Daytona Beach, Fla, after we graduated? And a few things that happened on our trip.

I forgot to mention Jacksonville, Florida, on the drive down. Back then to get across the St. Johns River we had to take a ferry. That was the first time I was on a ferry, just drive up and park and enjoy the ride, along with many other cars.

Well, times have changed. I think the ferry business is defunct. At least seven bridges go across the river now in the downtown Jacksonville area. We had dinner yesterday evening overlooking the river and from where I sat I counted at least seven bridges - although one was the I-95, but since it is actually two bridges, one north and one south, should we count the total as "at least 8"? Nah, lets stick to 7, however one is a train track, so you might not want to count that one at all, So, that might make it as least 6..... but then you also have a rapid transit bridge that is independent, but appears to be part of one bridge.... how should we count it?

Well, who cares? The point I was trying to build up to, and wandered off the track on was one of the bridges is a big blue draw bridge. It is called the Main Street Bridge because of the street that goes over it. This morning I ran over the bridge to one side, and ran along river walk to see several homeless people waking up on benches from a night of sleep - now to get back to work begging. I turned around and ran back over the bridge just to part of the draw-bridge part of it in action. After I got to the peak and was on my wan down a huge siren and a horn bellowed and gates popped into place at the entrance on each side. Then in the top center they bridge parted and lifted to the heavens and a little sail boat scooted through. I was blocked on the side. I had to wait until the gates removed themselves before I could run on off the bridge. I ran up to that point 30 minutes, which is the longest I ran since my heart attack.

My total run was 38 minutes. When I returned to the room Anna had left me a note saying she going to have to fly to Rock Island, Ill., May the 15th and 16th. or she said the week or May the 15th and 16th.... I hope she is back by May the 23rd, our youngest son Adam's birthday. Our oldest will be in Boston on business that day. I would like to gather all the flock in one hen house at one time for his birthday, so we may have to put it off a day or so.

On my walk this morning before my run, I found a marker for King's Road, which was a road, across the south, pre Revolutionary War, made for the British Army.

Anna totaled up her lost jewerly and she said it was about $350. As long as it isn't a daily occurance or habit, we can live with that, it certainly isn't as valuable as the family jewels, if they became missing I would be sobbing in very high notes - or maybe wailing would be more correct.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didnt realize you were live blogging down there, man i havent checked in since Sunday for my eddie fix. have a good time down there. Must be hard jogging on the beach.....

Jay said...

I love draw bridges! I think maybe I am too easily excited, but still.

kenju said...

Too bad about the jewelry, but it could have been worse, I guess.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Yes, I can check my email, but entering things to my blogger and leaving replies where my blogger password is a hit and miss kind of thing... I think I get my account name and passwords mixed up - did you realize how many combinations of one's name you can make? That could be a good hour of worth of class time, explaining all that. In fact this morning an email from blogger told me it appears that someone was trying to break into my blog.... did I want to change passwords? Heck No! That would confuse me even more - it was me trying to break in.
I haven'r ran on the beach... that does look hard. I have running on the river walk, which most of the time is nothing more than a very long paved sidewalk on one side of the river and wooden dock-like on the other.

Eddie said...

Miss Jay,

I think I love draw bridges too - I'm just not too sure they love me.

Eddie said...

Judy K,
Yes, that is bad about the jewerly, but at least she didn't lose me. See, it could be worse.