Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tuesday

Here I sit in the Jacksonville Library. I had to pay two bucks to be a "guest" to use one of their computers. Well, I guess, I am a paying guest. Being a paying guest I wonder if they would mind if I carve my name of this beautiful compuer work station table made of dark wood?

Jacksonville has a very nice spacious library that has plenty of books on all subjects, including genealogy, which magnetized me here.

Yesterday back on Amelia Island we went to a state park named Fort Clinch which is has very nature like settings and untouched by modern earth moving machines as possible. You drive five miles through the park before you get to the fort. The feds started building the fort in 1806 and finished in 1865, the year the Civil War ended. It took them 59 years to buld it. I think I know what our contractor that is adding a room under our den did in his previous life. Anyway, a couple of things to note about the fort. They was building the fort in the Civil War. Apparently it was controlled and occupied by Yankees, right down with Johnny Rebs all around them. The fort overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and the Cumberland Sound, and on the other side of the Cumberland Sound body of water must be Georgia and Cumberland Island. We also walked the beach in the area which is mostly unspoiled by human hands.... a lot of wood and weeds have been washed up from the tides. I think this area and on up to Tybee Island is a major giant turtle egg laying area.

Anna bought a Celtic Cross at an Irish gift shop yesterday. Which she wore. But unfortunately, she lost her little black velet bag of jewerly she brought from home. She knew we were going back to the store she saw the crosses at the day before so she could put them up against her other stuff to see what would go best. She might have put it down on a counter or something and now can't find it. I hope we come across the little black velvet pouch when we are unpacking, but are not really counting on it.

We ate at a pretty good barbecue place yesterday evening.

This morning I went for a 45 minute walk exloring the area and then a 25 minute run on the Riverside Walk.

When I decdied to ride the monorail system here I found out their change machine was not working. So, I asked an old lady in a uniform sweeping how do I get change (I needed to put 35 cents, exact change, into the machine to let me go through the turnsty, and she looked around, to make sure no one was looking, then pulled out of her keys, and opened a gate for "authorized personnel only" and let me get in that way. Well, thirty-five cents is thirty-five cents.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Sorry about the jewelry, and I hope you find it. Barring that, I hope it wasn't the "good jewelry".

Eddie said...

Judy,
All jewelry is good jewelry - except the Krackerjax kind. I think she figured it to be worth between $300-$400.
She was upset for a couple of hours, but saw that it was time to move on.

Anonymous said...

Florida is one of the last staes from the Confederacy I have not been too. (Virginia is the other). Have a good time down there....sorry about the blingbling

Eddie said...

Steve,
I think of Askinstoo as a mascot or some kind of pet-devil that can be seen here only.
Florida and Virgnia have their own distinct personalities and/or enviroment.