Sunday, May 22, 2016

How I Got My 2nd Volvo pv544




Above is a Volvo PV544 which was around in the 1950s and 60s.  My first PV544was black, but not nearly as shiny.
Sabrina and Rocky bought a new Volvo this weekend. 
I like Volvos.  I went through two.  In high school, a friend's mother had a white PV544 Volvo and I was impressed with it.
I bought a black Volvo and it got me around fine in New Jersey when I was in the Navy.   Someday I will write a post about my first Volvo.
But today, I want to write on how I got my second Volvo PV544.  It is almost something for the history books.
I worked in a central office/warehouse for Sinclair Refining Company*.  Our job was to keep Sinclair Service Stations stocked in products.  The stations were franchised all but two company owned stations, one at Executive Park on North Druid Hills Road and the other one on Peachtree and 14th Streets.
The station at Peachtree and 14th was deep in the center of the hippy hangouts in the 1960s.  The manager there was a guy with the first name Barry.  Barry spoke with clearly with a northern accent.  He was sharp and was always on top of things.  Barry owned my future PV544 Volvo, which was gray.
When Barry needed anything he called me.  You cannot talk to someone almost everyday and not chat some, so we got to know each other.
On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. 
About a day later it was all over the news that the FBI and other law agencies were on the lookout for a certain type of car and color in connection with the MLK's assassination.  It was many years ago, but it seems like it was a white Mustang they were on the lookout for.  They had the tag number and broadcasted a telephone to call if you should see the car.
Then Barry called.  Barry said the car being looked for is getting gas in his station. He said he needed the telephone number to call.  We scrambled around the office and somehow found it and I gave it to him.
I was the last person that we know of that talked to Barry.  Barry disappeared right after that phone call and has not been heard of since, as far as I know.
After he was missing a year he was declared dead and his wife sold his belongings. 
I bought the gray PV544 Volvo.   

*Sinclair has since been bought out by BP.


No comments: