Monday, October 18, 2010

Nellie Mae Rowe in the Museum

Have you ever cooked a big roast or a big pot of soup and ate on it for a couple of days? Well, that is sort of like some of my posts lately. It looks like I got three posts out of our visit to the High Art Museum.

While in the local folk art section we came across the Nellie Mae Rowe (1900-1982) section. In the early 1970s I used to ride by Nellie’s house in Vinings, Georgia, often. She lived in a shack right by the railroad tracks. Her house was very interesting visually. She was always putting yard art out in her yard and trees. Her yard art objects were mostly things tossed from passing cars.

One day she was out in her yard when I was driving by. I pulled into her driveway and talked to her. She was very friendly and very religious. I may have visited her another time, I forgot.

Years ago her house has been bulldozed away and replaced with a sky scraper. There is no more yard art and no more yard.

Years later after I started blogging I made a blog about my visit. Someone who read it made a comment about Nellie and that she became a well known folk artist, after she died, of course. I made another blog about her.

CLICK HERE for my 2nd Nellie Mae Rowe blog post which contains a link to the first post. It is like a two link clicks for the price of one.

I just noticed that the last letter in each of her three names Nellie Mae Rowe ends with an e. Hey! So does my primary nickname!

2 comments:

kenju said...

I'd love to see the photos, Eddie.

Eddie said...

Judy, I would too. I think they in in one of my heap boxes of piles of unsorted photos that I keep meaning to find time to go through. I will someday.