Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Nellie Mae Rowe (1900-1982)


Back on September the 24th I had a post about an old black lady that lived by the railroad tracks in Vinings who collected roadside litter and made art with it. The post received a comment from Brent yesterday saying he believed I was talking about Nellie Mae Rowe (1900 – 1982). And he gave me a
web link that had more about her. I went to it and – “Yep, that is her alright!”

Brent also said if I googled her name I could see more about her. I did, and did learn more about her. She was a wonderfully eccentric folk artist that also is a devout Christian, sort of like a black Howard Finster.

Whew! It is nice when someone shows up with proof of what I am talking about. Now, I know it wasn’t a figment of my imagination…. I’m not a nut after all!

5 comments:

Darlene said...

Yes, Nellie Mae Rowe did indeed exist. She was my Great Aunt. I grew up in Vinings and spent many wonderfilled visits with Aunt Nellie at her "Playhouse" when I was a child.

Eddie said...

Darlene,
I know you had a great time with her. When I talked to her she seemed to enjoy life and the people in the world.

Did you check out the link in the body of this posts that takes you to my first post about her before I knew her name?

Anonymous said...

My name is Becky Thurman and I grew up in Vinings during the 70's and 80's. As a child, I was fascinated by her home, and all that her yard held, when I would ride by daily on the school bus. Some of the kids would call her the "Voo Doo lady" and I would get so mad, it made me cry! My family took food to her in her later years during the holidays, one of my fondest memories. I have always loved her and remembered her. Many people that live in Vinings now have no idea of the history and I consider myself fortunate to have lived there at that time, and to have known Ms. Rowe..

Eddie said...

Becky,
I'm glad she made a big impression on you. She did me too.

Anonymous said...

In 1997 (if memory serves me correctly) I saw an exhibit of Ms. Nellie Mae Rowe's art in the National Museum of Women in the Arts in DC. It changed my life. I was impressed by her ability to make beauty out of cast off items, ordinary things. I also liked how it was evident she lived her life according to her inner spirit. When I need inspiration to live live more according to spirit...I remember Nellie Mae Rowe - always!