Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Have Lost Out to Automation Again!


It is bad to be retired and automation follows you and keeps pounding on you.

I have a PO box at the nearby post office for about eight years.

To enter into the lobby you need to open at least one of the double doors. Once inside you have several choices to make – either go through another door to do postal business with a clerk or stay in the area you just entered and open your PO box or use their automatic clerk – a computer that sells stamps and weighs packages and sells you the postage.

The double doors going in and out the post office is what this focal point is about.. Each day when I go to the post office to get my mail when I am at the double doors I look all around – outside to sidewalk and the opposite way to see if anybody is walking towards me. If so and they are at a reasonable distance I will wait on them to open the door for them. If the person is elderly or is a female or anybody carrying packages I will wait and wait as long as it takes.

I almost always got a hearty “thank you!” and that made my day – or it maybe made a good part of a day, to be appreciated.

This morning I walked through the door and they automatically opened for me. I go through automatic doors so often I didn’t even think about it. I got my mail and was walking out and I saw a lady approaching with a package – she was much closer to the doors than I and I almost broke into a fast strut to get the doors for her when it opened automatically,

I said to myself, “What th….. SHIT!

2 comments:

Si's blog said...

Been there, done that. Only I said "What the f__k."

Eddie said...

Si,
Well, actually that is what I tried to say too but it is so hard to pronounce the sound _____.